• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Why the resistance to D&D being a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I've lost a thread (mental, not ENWorld one) somewhere.

I know why group A doesn't want super-buffed fighters unless they're supernatural somehow.

And I know that group B wants fighters to be just as gonzo as the wizards.

I've forgotten why either group cares if there is no decent mundane fighter option, and all the good ones are supernatural somehow.

Anyone care to say if they are A or B and if they hate the balanced-with-wizards /gonzo fighters needing to pick a power source like demi-god, ancient mystic heritage, secret inner power source, dipped in Styx, blessed by the gods, etc ..?
How can a mundane guy fight a T-Rex? Or deal with other higher level situations?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you're not aware that in common usage "Its good that this happened" is frequently used as synonymous with "I'm glad this happened", I don't know what to tell you, man.
Two words, "I think" or even "IMO" would have fixed this whole argument.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
How can a mundane guy fight a T-Rex? Or deal with other higher level situations?
From past threads there was a fairly strong consensus that Captain America level fighters were acceptable. If that’s supernatural it’s natural adjacent supernaturality.

Note: mundane isn’t really the right word.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'd suggest the people who want the truly mundane options--and consider that a meaningful distinction--aren't the same people who want wuxia fighters.

I certainly agree with that. My question I guess is why we need a mundane option if the game involves...

The easy answer feels like just have them have...

Supernatural powers?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Or you could bring back TSR restrictions on casters, and let fighters cleave like there's no tomorrow.
Well, that is cutting back on mages power, just doing so in a (to my--and far as I can tell a fair number of other people's view) kind of backward and annoying way.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I certainly agree with that. My question I guess is why we need a mundane option if the game involves...

The easy answer feels like just have them have...
Personally I wouldn’t consider captain America to be supernatural but I could easily imagine him taking on a t-Rex.

Also, IMO mundane isn’t the right word for what anyone wants.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Personally I wouldn’t consider captain America to be supernatural but I could easily imagine him taking on a t-Rex.

Also, IMO mundane isn’t the right word for what anyone wants.
Isn't mundane the opposite of supernatural? Happy to get more word choices. What would you go with.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads