D&D General Why the resistance to D&D being a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Ennhh. You roll just right, hit a soft bit of ground, catch a bit of a ledge on the way, etc.
Oh, if there's stuff to skid down and grab ledges then I mean sure, that seems a fairly reasonable fantasy thing and the ghost of EGG might even agee. Also seems a bit different than the dragon just dropping you a few hundred feet down to bare earth. In that case it feels like the quote from default 1e dnd, you are apparently dead (because defn of rules and default and what the guy who wrote them said in them). In whatever other version of whatever edition someone is playing, maybe not.

As has been noted before in another thread, one could make HP be proportional to how many flowers you're stuffed with, and every time you lose HP a few flowers fly out. And when you get to zero flowers left you are pretty much kaput until at least one comes back. That's a perfectly fine way to run ones home version of DnD and apparently matches some anime hero. I'm guessing some people would find the claim that canonical DnD is set to take that as the default assumption kind of strange. It also makes florists maybe a bit creepy in that world.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
From past threads there was a fairly strong consensus that Captain America level fighters were acceptable. If that’s supernatural it’s natural adjacent supernaturality.

Note: mundane isn’t really the right word.
In a 5e derivative, Captain America fighters are cool.

At this juncture I'd like to remind everyone that people have survived skydiving accidents.

D&D Fighters eat skydiving accidents for breakfast 😋

A look in on a D&D Fighter after their 733rd skydiving accident of the day:

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
At this juncture I'd like to remind everyone that people have survived skydiving accidents.
Posted an article about a not quite that high, but 300+' high survival above. It mentions some big number of cases from lower that were all deaths.

So it feels like in a 100'+ fall simulator using just a d100 that probably isn't fine grained enough to give any chance (maybe d1,000? guessing certainly d10,000). A real life fall simulator feels like one of those systems a lot of people would say the game doesn't need.

For 1e we have it on some authority (the author's) that the isn't simulating things and that your character is just dead. For other versions, who knows.

Micah Sweet

Duh. I knew that and must be tired. Thanks for the reminder.

Why isn't the demi-God or whatever odd training all the time too? (Or does Herc just get to party while Cap sweats all the time?).

What fantasy has completely natural fighters facing off with Balrogs and not getting stomped? (It feels like all the big Nolodor certainly had the supernatural elviness around them compared to say even Hurin). Is it a thing in Anime, say?

"A sufficiently powerful level of skillfulness is indistinguishable from magic." ?
Based on my knowledge of Marvel, that is exactly how it is with Cap and Herc.

And Aragorn and Boromir were very impressive fighters, but when the Balrog showed up and Gandalf told them to go, they went.

Micah Sweet

To me, surviving the fall is just no more inherently unrealistic than surviving the other hazards you'd expect hp to protect you from.

At a certain level the physics of getting hit by a two-ton thrown boulder aren't that different from falling and hitting the ground.

Thinking it's obvious that one event would obviously bypass hp and cause instant death while the other wouldn't just seems kind of silly.
Getting hit by a 2-ton Boulder should probably kill you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads