Why the world is?

Clavis

First Post
In my campaign different religions and philosophies have different stories regarding the existence of the world. The "truth", as far I am concerned, is that the Cosmos is a purposeless and accidental bubble floating in the midst of infinite Chaos. Intelligent beings evolved naturally in the Cosmos, and through the focus of their will are able to shape the laws of the Universe through controlled introduction of the Chaos into the Cosmos (hence magic). The gods did not exist before intelligent created them through worship, and once a god is no longer worshiped they "die" (but can be reborn through renewed worship). The gods do not know this fact, and remember creating the Universe in various ways (but that belief is false). Divine miracles are really just magic worked under different circumstances.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
These days, I tend to create settings in such a way that the question of how or why the whole world came to be is completely irrelevant. It's much more relevant to ask why the town the PCs live in was founded, why there are ruins on the plains past the mountains to the west, et cetera.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Generally I don't really detail or even think of a reason why the world was created. Only time it ever comes into existence is if it plays a role with the plot being unfolded.

Times when this has happened and thus the reason the world exists:

-The world exists because it existed once before. It is a replicated world, a artificial one. Forged by the last remnants of the Gods prior to the death in their inter-dimensional total war. The world is a copy of one of the many worlds destroyed during this war. To maintain and govern it they created the God-Machine, essentially a AI to govern over it. However as with all things it began to decay growing to develop ripples in reality and much else that followed.

Hmm... Right now that is the only one really fleshed out. Most of the time, it doesn't really matter, Big Bang and all the rest is just as likely as any fantasy based reason. What I do spend more time on though it why the world is the way it is right now.

ProfessorPain

First Post
This can be a difficult question to answer because some players don't want to know these details, saying it ruins the mystery. I have approached this a few different ways, but in a recent campaign, I stole from Mesopotamian myth, and had the God's create the world for their own pleasure, and created humanoids to be their slaves. In my world, the Gods lived on the prime material plane. In fact, there was only one plane of existence. In time, a band of benevolent gods took pity on the humanoids and liberated them. But this angered some of the other gods. And since they have been locked in a war over humanoid slavery.

Remove ads