Why they cast Animate Dead on Orville's Corpse?

Jesus_marley said:
It's CGI! and creepy CGI at that.

The realy bad part is that they just took some old commercial footage for Orville.

But, they didn't spend the cash to bring the Faded Commercial up to the quality of the rest of the film.

This results in a quasi-spectral look, combined with the sorta-jerky graphics, combined with Orville's advanced age, combined with the fact he IS a Corpse...

Makes this commercial waaaaayyyyy too creepy.

If I'd seen it in on a Big Screen High Def set I might have wet myself.

Hey Popcorn guys! Fire your ad agency! (Unless they really ARE necromancers, in which case be really nice so they don't kill you and animate your corpse too).

images%5Cdo_not_want.jpg

sums it up for me...

joe b.

Johnnie Freedom!

First Post
Torm said:
Yeah, we noticed this commercial the other night, too, and were talking about how odd it is that Orville's grandson is wearing his grandfather's skin.

I just watched the commercial, and holy crap, that is creepy. It *is* a lot like he's wearing someone else's skin, eh?

Brrrrr . . .

<There's a Stephen King short story in this somewhere . . . >

kenobi65

First Post
Johnnie Freedom! said:
I just watched the commercial, and holy crap, that is creepy. It *is* a lot like he's wearing someone else's skin, eh?

"Hi, folks! I'm Ed Gein, and I'd like you to try Orville Deadenbacher's Popcorn." :D

Simplicity

Explorer
I hate this commercial. Between the uncanny valley of CGI, the use of a dead person to sell a product... it's worst than the old guy in those Six Flags commercials.

Why not just cart Orville's coffin out and have him pop out like the crypt keeper while they're at it? "Try my gore-met CHOP-ing corn! EEEEEEEE-HEHEHEHE!"

DonTadow

First Post
What ad guy thought this was a good idea. It just looks sick. If it didnt come off right, why would they go with it. At first I thought it was a horrible joke until they kept repeating this crap.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Torm said:
Yeah, we noticed this commercial the other night, too, and were talking about how odd it is that Orville's grandson is wearing his grandfather's skin. Buncha sick freaks in that family. Decent popcorn, though. :D

Maybe the grandson is a skinwalker.... (Dresden Files reference...) :lol:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
kenobi65 said:
My understanding is that they hired a lookalike / soundalike, then used CGI to doctor him so he looked even more like Orville.

When they re-used an old, original Orville Redenbacher commerical from the 1970s last year, they got a strongly positive response from consumers. This is the goofy result of that.

I liked seeing those old commercials again. Not sure if I'd seen any of the new ones with the animated dead Orville....

kenobi65

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
I liked seeing those old commercials again. Not sure if I'd seen any of the new ones with the animated dead Orville....

You'd know if it you had. The new ad has only been on air for a week or two, and "Orville" is talking about his MP3 player as he pops popcorn. That, and the entire effect is highly disturbing, and there really is an animated-corpse quality to the effect.

Remove ads