Why We Should Work With WotC

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
[*} I mean, maybe also Palladium. Not sure where they are now, but I could see old-school Palladium being the kind of company that would get very protective of their game being streamed online.
I think that even they would welcome that. It seems like they are constantly facing some kind of financial apocalypse or another, so the free exposure would be accepted without their historical legal action.

That being said, I don't think any of these streams are even jokingly considering a Megaversal game.

Steel_Wind

Legend

I really wish people would stop making this legal claim. The issue is not as simple as that. There is a great deal of nuance to it. You cannot copyright an individual rule, but if a large bundle of rules is copied by someone it can in fact run afoul of copyright/trade dress. It's really a somewhat complex area and is not subject to a single legal declaration like you're making.
I know you know this, but "trade dress" is just legal shorthand for the tort of "passing off". It's a difficult civil action to win -- and liability is easily avoided if avoidance is your aim. I honestly don't think it is likely to arise in any of the circumstances we are discussing here.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Literally every other industry would be offering these streamers sponsorship deals. I mean, does WotC also ask their advertising agency to pay them?
I mean, Wizards does have a sponsorship deal with Critical Role IIRC. But that was under the old regime. A change of execs leads to changes of thinking a lot of the time, which is what's going on now. So getting some video game execs in there means they're trying to apply their video game thoughts to an industry that is only superficially the same.

That being said, I don't think any of these streams are even jokingly considering a Megaversal game.
Could you imagine? I'd actually watch a stream of folks in their 20s grappling with Megaversal rules for the first time after playing nothing but 5e D&D.

(Though more likely would be a Savage World Rifts game rather than the Megaverse itself I think).

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I mean, Wizards does have a sponsorship deal with Critical Role IIRC. But that was under the old regime. A change of execs leads to changes of thinking a lot of the time, which is what's going on now. So getting some video game execs in there means they're trying to apply their video game thoughts to an industry that is only superficially the same.

Could you imagine? I'd actually watch a stream of folks in their 20s grappling with Megaversal rules for the first time after playing nothing but 5e D&D.

(Though more likely would be a Savage World Rifts game rather than the Megaverse itself I think).
I'd watch just to see the point where somebody raises their head from the rulebook and goes "Wait, we should all take the boxing skill, right?"

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Oh god the flashbacks. Ahhhh it's amazing what you retain from games you haven't played for 20 years.
I mean, imagine coming across their famous "mental disorder" table, that they copied and pasted into every book for 25 years, that you get from "doing drugs too much" in 2023?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Why do I want to play Rifts now?

Bad News No GIF by GIPHY Studios 2022

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases