• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why WILL you switch?

Darth Cyric

First Post
Just as a counter-thread to those giving their reasons for not switching to 4e, I might as well make a thread for those of us that DO plan to move on to 4e, and why you are making the switch.

Sphyre

First Post
Given a lot of the design concepts behind 4e, I think the mechanics will create a much more balanced and enjoyable combat. In addition the DM tools for monsters, the condensed monster stat block and encounter design, along with faster NPC creation, and even on the fly formulas for NPCs all lead to more time thinking about what's going to happen the next session, and fleshing that out, rather than doing homework to prepare for game.

I already have my own homebrew setting, so any fluff they release isn't a big selling point for me.

Also, the end of level adjustments is a big plus. So for me, it's mostly pretty much the change in rule mechanics that I like.

Jack99

Adventurer
1) WoTC made 3.5. Not anyone else. And while some other companies made some really good supplements to the game that WoTC created, it is WoTC which has my trust to bring DND to the next level.
2) 4e will be a better game than 3.5, it is that simple.

But just in case, I am going to keep my 3.5 books ;)

Callikah

First Post
coz every damn 3.x game ive run or played in ended due to to much planning and nnot enough actual gameplay (coz the dm's got burned out on all the damn prep) plus the far cooler than the basic classes stuff from other splats bogged most games down in options
that made the u go insane with choice and the dm insane with more damn prep!

hpopefully the promised refinements in the dmg to do with adventure and campiagn prep and encounters will make the game fast annd fun again.

FireLance

Legend
1. Cool powers
2. Cool per encounter powers
3. Cool per encounter powers for all classes
4. More explicit underlying math
5. Easier to houserule because of the more explicit underlying math
6. Underlying math that (I expect) will give most characters a nontrivial chance of success and a nontrivial chance of failure.
7. Generalization of key functions, e.g. anyone can heal, anyone can deal with traps
8. Rules that allow the player to act even if the character does not, e.g. saving throws to remove ongoing effects
9. More focused classes - less baggage picked up if you just want a specific ability
10. More flexible characters - better able to mix and match various classes and abilities to get the character you want

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I think it sounds like a better game than Third Edition. Fresher and more intriguing setting assumptions, cleaner mechanics which give players more interesting things to do at the table, everything.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
FireLance said:
1. Cool powers
2. Cool per encounter powers
3. Cool per encounter powers for all classes
4. More explicit underlying math
5. Easier to houserule because of the more explicit underlying math
6. Underlying math that (I expect) will give most characters a nontrivial chance of success and a nontrivial chance of failure.
7. Generalization of key functions, e.g. anyone can heal, anyone can deal with traps
8. Rules that allow the player to act even if the character does not, e.g. saving throws to remove ongoing effects
9. More focused classes - less baggage picked up if you just want a specific ability
10. More flexible characters - better able to mix and match various classes and abilities to get the character you want

Three uses of the C word! I'm reporting you to The Rouse.

Remove ads