D&D 5E Wild & Dead magic zones

I might be conflating editions here, but I believe that 5e also supports dead magic zones and wild magic zones.

Has anyone used these? Do you think it would be overly punitive to spellcasters?

I can't see using a dead magic zone beyond the size of a room for example, and then only occasionally.

I could see using larger areas for wild magic zones, but I'm not really sure if it adds any value to the game apart from creating a bit of variety.

What are your thoughts?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If your PCs are heavily dependent on magic items, a dead-magic zone can really throw a wrench into their planning. Worth doing once in a while, but be careful not to overuse it.

Wild-magic zones are a high-risk high-reward sort of venture, depending how beneficial and-or baneful your wild magic tables go at the extremes. Again something to only use once in a while; and my own recommendation is if you're going to have randomized wild magic effects use a huge table of possibilities to lessen the chance of repeats.

pukunui

Legend
I might be conflating editions here, but I believe that 5e also supports dead magic zones and wild magic zones.
They appear on the Weird Locales table on page 109 of the DMG.

Dead magic zones are to be treated like an antimagic field, while wild magic zones require a roll on the Wild Magic Surge table from the PHB whenever someone casts a spell in the zone.

I can't actually remember whether I've used a wild magic zone before, but I did use a dead magic zone once. It was in a small room in a dungeon. The players were confounded at first.

I think using either type of zone really depends on your group and whether you're using it as a gotcha or if you've telegraphed its presence in advance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dead magic certainly nerfs your spellcasters, and won't be a lot of fun for them if it goes on for too long. I'd be hesitant to use them, except for very small rare occasions.

R_J_K75

Legend
Im pretty sure wild and dead magic zones originated in the Forgotten Realms but I would not be surprised to learn they were in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine even before that. There are well documented occurrences of .both permanent and randomly moving locations. The Stonelands outside of Cormyr immediately comes to mind, which iirc is a large dead magic zone. When I add them to my game I try to keep it to known locations so the players may know about them before hand. Though I do insert a dead or wild magic zone rarely. I would be interested to see a compilation of all the known dead and wild magic zones in the Realms. That's a product Id be interested in buying from either WotC or DMs Guild.

Jediking

Explorer
Aside from dead magic and wild magic zones, the DMG also has a section on planar effects when PCs travel there (eg. the Abyss, the Feywild).

Could be something else there that might spark your interest

Coroc

Hero

Has anyone used these? Do you think it would be overly punitive to spellcasters?

I can't see using a dead magic zone beyond the size of a room for example, and then only occasionally.

I could see using larger areas for wild magic zones, but I'm not really sure if it adds any value to the game apart from creating a bit of variety.

What are your thoughts?

BIG FUN

Like the dead/wild magic zones as a defining element of FR, especially in the areas of broken/forgotten mythals. People always seem to forget about that superneat feature of FR.

Dead magic zones are a challenge, especially for casters, wild magic is fun and good times for everybody, especially for the DM :p

Get your hands on additional wild magic tables, there are some 2e products. (Tome of magic, I think also in ruins of myth drannor etc.)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Im pretty sure wild and dead magic zones originated in the Forgotten Realms but I would not be surprised to learn they were in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine even before that.
The first place I'm aware of them being presented is in the Forgotten Realms Adventures sourcebook for 2e.

Remove ads