• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild Shape to escape Grapple?

arbados

Explorer
Can a druid wildshape into say, a small animal, while grappled in order to attempt to escape the grapple? It says that wild shape is a spelllike ability in both the PH and the MotW. So does that mean they cannot, because you can only cast a verbal spell while grappled? I am not sure and could use some feedback. The druid in the party always uses this techniques when grappled and I am starting to wonder if it should be allowed.
Thanks.

Mahali

Explorer
Yes but it's not a good idea to wildshape into a small animal.

1. You'll provoke an AoO for using a SP ability and have to make a concentration check.
2. Small creatures have a -4 grapple check.

So do it defensively and Wildshape into something big and strong.

Mahali

Explorer
Why not?

You don't threaten an area while grappling but we've always taken that as "normal threatend area" and that you still "threaten" the one you're grappling.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You don't threaten an area while grappling but we've always taken that as "normal threatend area" and that you still "threaten" the one you're grappling.

[shrug] If you "don't threaten an area", you don't make AoOs.

From the description of AoOs : "An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened area provokes an attack of opportunity from you."

Since you don't threaten an area, any action the person you are grappling takes is, by definition, not taken in a threatened area.

-Hyp.

RandomNPC

First Post
I'm not sure if this applies but casting while grappled has a concentrations dc of like 10+spell level+50. I wouldn't allow that ability to be used while being grappled unless that check was made, part of the advantage to grappling is that it really screws a spellcaster. Also, don't smaller creatures get a negative mod to grapple checks?

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
RandomNPC said:
I'm not sure if this applies but casting while grappled has a concentrations dc of like 10+spell level+50.

It's DC 20 + spell level.

10 + spell level + 50 would be a tad difficult :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads