Critical Role Wildemount has new subraces and reprints a ton of others

gyor

Legend
Actually, when they added tieflings in 4E, they took out gnomes.

And they put them back in 5e, while keeping Dragonborn and Tiefling, net increase in PHB races. Its not some law of physics that they have to take a race out if they add one in. Its not even a rule of thumb, its just something Paul made up out of thin air.

gyor

Legend
Ah, see, I never played Pathfinder, and only know a bit about Critical Role, so sorry for my mistakes! :)

WotC did change some elements, shortened her name, changed her holy symbol, get rid of the Angel element of the Goddess (she started off as an Angel) and replaced it with Humaniod Pheonix, no references to events on Galaron. This really just broad themes and a vague simularities to the Pathfinder Goddess really.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Its not just Wildemount, its the broader trend, if a race keeps popping up in books, multiple settings its a sign that its a core race. Goblins were a core race for most MtG settings, so now that they are getting the D&D treatment it makes sense to add them to the PHB, especially since they are playable in Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Exandia, and other more traditional D&D settings. I'd also add Aasimar and Genasi to the PHB.

No new races or subraces or classes will ever be "added" to the Player's Handbook. I understand your argument on why they should be. I don't find it compelling enough, WOTC definitely does not find it compelling enough, and it's just not going to happen. Probably best to talk about other ways to make them "more official" or "more accessible" than to continue to suggest they be "added to" the PHB.

gyor

Legend
No new races or subraces or classes will ever be "added" to the Player's Handbook. I understand your argument on why they should be. I don't find it compelling enough, WOTC definitely does not find it compelling enough, and it's just not going to happen. Probably best to talk about other ways to make them "more official" or "more accessible" than to continue to suggest they be "added to" the PHB.

No, you out right wrong.

They have added and subtracted classes and races from the PHB throughout varous editions. 4e added the Warlord, 5e took it out. 5e added the Drow to the PHB for the first time ever. One addition removed monks others added them back in. 4e added Warlocks, and 5e keep them. 4e took out Half Orcs and Gnomes while adding Dragonborn and Tieflings and Eladarin. 5e readded Half Orcs and Gnomes, kept Tieflings and Dragonborn, and pushed a prototype of Eladarin to the DMG (along with Aasimar), only to release finished versions later.

You have no idea what WotC will or won't do, and that you don't find my reasoning compelling enough matters not at all, given that not only is it not up to you, but you made no counter arguement to it.

Mistwell

No, you out right wrong.

They have added and subtracted classes and races from the PHB throughout varous editions. 4e added the Warlord, 5e took it out. 5e added the Drow to the PHB for the first time ever. One addition removed monks others added them back in. 4e added Warlocks, and 5e keep them. 4e took out Half Orcs and Gnomes while adding Dragonborn and Tieflings and Eladarin. 5e readded Half Orcs and Gnomes, kept Tieflings and Dragonborn, and pushed a prototype of Eladarin to the DMG (along with Aasimar), only to release finished versions later.

You have no idea what WotC will or won't do, and that you don't find my reasoning compelling enough matters not at all, given that not only is it not up to you, but you made no counter arguement to it.

5e didn't "add" anything. It's not based on 4e. They started with X number of races in the PHB and have never added since.

The fact you're citing the very edition they've said was the example for why they will never do that again tells me this conversation isn't going anywhere. They have in fact said they will not do that - they will never again make people feel like their PHB is outdated and needs to be purchased again to stay up to date. They gave more reasons too, and they were good reasons, and this has been debated to death years ago. I don't feel like getting back into it, but I don't think you will find your idea of "adding races to the PHB" will resonate with a lot of people.

dave2008

Legend
@gyor and @Mistwell , it seems you are talking past each other. Gyor is, I believe, talking about adding them to a future 6e and Mistwell is saying they are not going to add them to the 5e PHB. Those are not mutually exclusive statements. You can both be correct.

Now I have heard Gyor suggest an updated 5e PHB with more races, but that is not going to happen.

gyor

Legend
5e didn't "add" anything. It's not based on 4e. They started with X number of races in the PHB and have never added since.

The fact you're citing the very edition they've said was the example for why they will never do that again tells me this conversation isn't going anywhere. They have in fact said they will not do that - they will never again make people feel like their PHB is outdated and needs to be purchased again to stay up to date. They gave more reasons too, and they were good reasons, and this has been debated to death years ago. I don't feel like getting back into it, but I don't think you will find your idea of "adding races to the PHB" will resonate with a lot of people.

I pointed to multiple editions, not just 4e. And I'm talking most about future editions or a possible special collexctors edition maybe, not the regular PHB. And by the time the next edition comes around you don't even know if it will be the same people or not, or what design philosophy they will have.

gyor

Legend
@gyor and @Mistwell , it seems you are talking past each other. Gyor is, I believe, talking about adding them to a future 6e and Mistwell is saying they are not going to add them to the 5e PHB. Those are not mutually exclusive statements. You can both be correct.

Now I have heard Gyor suggest an updated 5e PHB with more races, but that is not going to happen.

Not exactly an updated PHB, more like the combined fixed version of Tyranny of Dragons they released last year, but for the PHB + other content. And you could be right maybe they won't do this product or maybe I'm right and they will, but either way it won't be any time soon.

Anyways I'm mostly talking about the next edition amyways, anything else is all hypothetical.

Mistwell

I pointed to multiple editions, not just 4e. And I'm talking most about future editions or a possible special collexctors edition maybe, not the regular PHB. And by the time the next edition comes around you don't even know if it will be the same people or not, or what design philosophy they will have.

Oh it looked like you meant add to the 5e PHB. Not a future edition. Sure, of course a future edition might have different races than this edition.

Remove ads