Critical Role Wildemount has new subraces and reprints a ton of others

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Sure. It would also require a parent company willing to bleed millions on a game that ignores its most popular setting property.

Personally, I'm all for killing the Realms as we know it. I just have no faith that WotC would ever try that again. They seem to blame quite a bit of the financial failure of 4e on the changes to the Realms. I'd disagree: I think a number of things, not all within their control caused the problems; chief of them wrong timing. It was caught between the era of pen and paper and the era of VTT and Twitch and functional online resources. Bad hands, and they didn't play well. Loved it, but have to reflect on the poor marketing choices that propped up a niche audience (me and my friends, and people like me) over the massive success they've now been able to break through to.

So as much as I'd love the change in focus, I KNOW that we'll keep coming back to FR.

Wildmount though. This is a crunchy, savoury setting. I'd be happy playing in this sandbox for a while.
Oh, on this we can agree. I was making a joking comment, half-directed at gyor, about removing the Forgotten Realms because I find it distasteful. I too, as a 4E fan, like the 4E iteration of the FR. I can see why my post may have caused some confusion, especially because of the way it was phrased.

gyor

Legend
Hey, I was one of the few FANS of 4e Realms. When I say I'm all for slaughtering sacred cows, I mean from a creative standpoint. I loved the remixed deities of the Dawn War Pantheon, and it's great to see them carried over here in Explorer's Guide to Wildmount (with one addition - though I get why, since Critical Role has run for YEARS and can't very well retcon it's entire mythology every edition…).

I'm not a marketer though, and clearly 5e is doing SOMETHING right, from a business sense, with its compromise of sacred cows and modern sensibilities.

In Tal'Dorei, they replace the Ability Scores, Draconic Ancestry, Breath Weapon, Damage Resistance and Languages, with a +5 ft speed,non-magical Slashing damage resistance, and +1 Con, +1 Wis. The RAW say that you only keep the Age, Alignment, and Size from the PHB, but that can't quite be right - it would mean you learn no languages by default, at the very least. If it's intended to lack a Breath Weapon, this seems super underpowered, though that slashing resistance is huge.

In Wildmount, Ravenite replace the Ability Scores and Damage Resistance with +2 Str, +1 Con, Darkvision 60ft, and a new additional per-rest feature, Vengeful Assault - Reaction weapon attack when you're hit by an enemy within range of your current weapon. The RAW suggest you keep the Draconic Ancestry for the purpose of the Breath Weapon, since it doesn't say this replaces it.

I like how they handled the Saerae, aka Rae now, they kept the wings, fire theme, and basic compassion and redemption themes, but replaced the Angel background with Humaniod Pheonix and Golarion lore with Exandia lore. It will he interesting to see how Rae evovles in the future and if she ends up in Nentir Vale if they update it to 5e.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Bawhahaha it is already too late and I have you so befuddled you don't even know it!
My mind is as keen as ever, like the blade of Il'y'rt'gyu'ryou'gx, who comes for Toril in the night. The skies shall soon bleed from wounds cut by massive spacecraft, and all mortal lives will fall. The gods of Toril, powerless without devotees, will perish as easily as the Gnomes who dared tread before St. Cuthbert on a bad day.

gyor

Legend
Hey, I was one of the few FANS of 4e Realms. When I say I'm all for slaughtering sacred cows, I mean from a creative standpoint. I loved the remixed deities of the Dawn War Pantheon, and it's great to see them carried over here in Explorer's Guide to Wildmount (with one addition - though I get why, since Critical Role has run for YEARS and can't very well retcon it's entire mythology every edition…).

I'm not a marketer though, and clearly 5e is doing SOMETHING right, from a business sense, with its compromise of sacred cows and modern sensibilities.

In Tal'Dorei, they replace the Ability Scores, Draconic Ancestry, Breath Weapon, Damage Resistance and Languages, with a +5 ft speed,non-magical Slashing damage resistance, and +1 Con, +1 Wis. The RAW say that you only keep the Age, Alignment, and Size from the PHB, but that can't quite be right - it would mean you learn no languages by default, at the very least. If it's intended to lack a Breath Weapon, this seems super underpowered, though that slashing resistance is huge.

In Wildmount, Ravenite replace the Ability Scores and Damage Resistance with +2 Str, +1 Con, Darkvision 60ft, and a new additional per-rest feature, Vengeful Assault - Reaction weapon attack when you're hit by an enemy within range of your current weapon. The RAW suggest you keep the Draconic Ancestry for the purpose of the Breath Weapon, since it doesn't say this replaces it.

This makes the Dragonborn variants better Dragon blooded Sorcerers because they keep the good parts, but trade out the redundant parts.

gyor

Legend
My mind is as keen as ever, like the blade of Il'y'rt'gyu'ryou'gx, who comes for Toril in the night. The skies shall soon bleed from wounds cut by massive spacecraft, and all mortal lives will fall. The gods of Toril, powerless without devotees, will perish as easily as the Gnomes who dared tread before St. Cuthbert on a bad day.

The Spelljammer fleets of Realmspace will destroy your puny space craft!

gyor

Legend
Ha, the atmosphere which your puny Torilian scholars refer to as a crystal sphere will break before our mighty craft. Unless... Wait, what? We can't get through the crystal. Mayday! Mayday! We're coming down in the Barrier Peaks!

The taste of victim is like thr finest blood wine, aged to prefection.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases