Critical Role Wildemount has new subraces and reprints a ton of others

BRayne

Adventurer
What are the new backgrounds?
Rough summary of the two new ones
Grinner - Rabble rousing freedom fighters who use coded songs to pass messages and get access to safehouses
Vollstrucker - Arcane assassins and enforcers who silence dissidents. Defined by past tragedy and have the ability to pass messages to any other vollstrucker by burning a letter written in 10gp of magic ink

Plus setting specific flavor additions to Acolyte, Criminal, Sailor, Sage, and Spy

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Make that 11 grognards. Being older also makes you wise (or at least experienced), so we can set up our protest to contain only the current limit of people, properly spaced out, and occupy whatever space we reserved for the protest, all day!

Goblins are foes, not players!
(To be spoken in the voices of the three sharks from Finding Nemo.)

gyor

Legend
I like the alternate dragonborn options. At first I thought they took away the breath weapon as well as the resistance which would make them feel much less like dragons at that point but upon rereading that's not the case.

I do somewhat wish that genasi would get rebalanced at some point but with their third reprinting without changes that seems very unlikely at this point. I love the concept of them but their features are quite lackluster. Just comparing the fire genasi to the tiefling and you see that they are almost equivalent except the fire genasi doesn't get access to a second level spell. And fire is one of the better ones. Air and earth don't even get a resistance.

They don't even get Darkvision, only fire Genasi get Darkvision. I just don't get why they went modeled and modeled Genasi on the horrid 2e mechanics.

Genasi should have been playtested first first along with Kenku who have even worse mechanics, pure ribbon abilities; and the inability to talk properly, with all the BS that comes with that.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
They don't even get Darkvision, only fire Genasi get Darkvision. I just don't get why they went modeled and modeled Genasi on the horrid 2e mechanics.

Genasi should have been playtested first first along with Kenku who have even worse mechanics, pure ribbon abilities; and the inability to talk properly, with all the BS that comes with that.

I want Storm Genasi, and Frost Genasi, and the Corrupted Genasi from 4e!

OTOH, they're not core to many settings, and would be a waste of space in the PH for anyone not playing a goblins-are-pcs setting.

If they're showing up in almost every Campaign Setting released, they should have been in the PHB. I can see the argument for not including Orcs (though honestly I'd say just replace Half-orcs with orcs and treat Orcs as breeding true), as they have only showed up as Player Options in a few settings, but Goblins have shown up in Ravnica, Eberron, and now Wildemount. Only missing from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. If they're in Theros, then yeah, they REALLY should have been in PHB.

Make that 11 grognards. Being older also makes you wise (or at least experienced), so we can set up our protest to contain only the current limit of people, properly spaced out, and occupy whatever space we reserved for the protest, all day!

Goblins are foes, not players!
(To be spoken in the voices of the three sharks from Finding Nemo.)

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans is almost as old as 2e (and included PC Orcs). Warcraft II came out in the 2e era too (and included PC Goblins). Warcraft III had truly heroic orcs and goblins, and existed alongside 3rd Edition.

The world has changed dramatically since the 90s and 00s, let alone the 70s and 80s, and Goblins and Orcs have had a history as heroes in fantasy games. We're getting to the point that there's no real reason NOT to have them as regular PC options, given that they're core world races. If Drow are in the PHB, they should be too.

Last edited:

Remove ads