Critical Role Wildemount: Most Pre-orders Since D&D Core Rulebooks

It seems that the most popular D&D setting in the 5E era is... Wildemount! Talking about the upcoming Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, WotC's Greg Tito said on a Twitch stream recently that "we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released".

It seems that the most popular D&D setting in the 5E era is... Wildemount! Talking about the upcoming Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, WotC's Greg Tito said on a Twitch stream recently that "we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released".

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.10.09 PM.png

Here's the quote in full:

"...It was number 1, ranked number 1, for all books on Amazon. How many of you out there remember when Amazon was just selling books? Raise your hands. Yeah, that's me. So it's really cool, even though obviously I do a lot more other fun stuff right now, there is a ton out there that are excited for this book, and it isn't even out yet.

"We have little bit of an internal metrics, but we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released, and if you've been following along at home, Dungeons & Dragons has been selling like hotcakes since 5th Edition released in 2014."

It sounds like the Critical Role setting is proving more popular (at least right now) than traditional D&D settings like Ravenloft or Eberron, newer ones like Ravnica, or adventures set in the Forgotten Realms.

Explorer's Guide to Wildemount will hit game stores on March 17th.

Torog is WotC IP: other than Sarenrae (the Campaign 1 Cleric was written up with the PF Core Rulebook and Mercer just says "yes" to the players using options from the book), the gods are all from the 4E default pantheon, and retain the Dawn War mythology. Mercer is actually quite interested in fleshing that out, though. The Green Ronin book gets into the Dawn War in detail, but uses circumlocutions by way of title ("Dawn-Father" and such) for all the god's names.

Suspiciously, it seems to me in retrospect that went back to using the WotC proper names in game just about when work on this book began.

Although after two campaigns set in the world, there is plenty of Critical Role only lore, and some of the deities have begun to diverge from their 4E versions. I believe there is some original deities as well now, especially with the second campaign going on. (The Critical Role Traveller is not the one from Eberron, for instance)

Although after two campaigns set in the world, there is plenty of Critical Role only lore, and some of the deities have begun to diverge from their 4E versions. I believe there is some original deities as well now, especially with the second campaign going on. (The Critical Role Traveller is not the one from Eberron, for instance)

One of the blurbs breaking down the book on the CR shop preorder page specifically cites lesser divinities besides just the gods, so I assume they're probably sticking the Traveller in there?

"An extensive breakdown of the Wildemount pantheon, featuring idols and demigods that exist outside of the pantheon "

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Calling WotC liars. Real class there
Its really not that melodramatic. That would be like claiming lucasfilm is liars for all the things Abrams said, This is what companies do. I would absolutely not expect them to say it took up a book slot. I imagine it did take up a slot, I don't necessarily beleive them when they say it didn't, but it doesn't make me particularly mad because they have to give the company line.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the blurbs breaking down the book on the CR shop preorder page specifically cites lesser divinities besides just the gods, so I assume they're probably sticking the Traveller in there?

"An extensive breakdown of the Wildemount pantheon, featuring idols and demigods that exist outside of the pantheon "

That's a reference to the Dwendalian Empires religious policy: only Lawful Neutral and Lawful Good deities can be worshiped, publicly or privately.

Remove ads

Remove ads