D&D 5E Wildshape Interactions with Weird Racial Features

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I find the idea that dragon breath is ok because it's magical to be kind of odd. I mean, last I checked, we don't have shapechanging humanoids or sentient goo people in our world either, so if a dragonborn's physiology is magical, then so should a changeling or plasmoid's. Until we have some litmus test for what is or is not a supernatural ability, I'm inclined to say "if a real creature can't do it, then it must be magic".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Regarding the changling: I could be convinced that -while wildshaped- appearing as a different "race" would work as being able to appear as alternate breeds of the same type of animal.
you can do that anyway. Afterall when I wildshape into an eagle noones asking if its a white-bellied sea eagle or a black chested buzzard

Argyle King

Legend
you can do that anyway. Afterall when I wildshape into an eagle noones asking if its a white-bellied sea eagle or a black chested buzzard

They might be, depending upon the circumstances.

In that case, you could switch pelts/feathers/whatever without needing to use a second wildshape.

Clint_L

Hero
I'm of the impression that the breath weapon is said to still work because most creatures still breath.
That's what Crawford said, while responding specifically to this question, so the implication is that the breath weapon is not produced by the Dragonborn's anatomy and simply needs breath to be expelled.

Edit: I think what this comes down to is just trying to follow the sensible intent of the Wildshape ability. OP's examples seem like trying to subvert the clear design intent. Wildshape is intended to let the druid, through their connection to nature, assume the physiology of beasts (with some special exceptions due to sub-class; e.g. elementals). If we let a player keep Plasmoid features that are clearly drawn from its physiology, then we should let all players keep all racial features while wild shaped, period. It seems odd and unfair to make a special exception for Plasmoids and Changelings.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
That's what Crawford said, while responding specifically to this question, so the implication is that the breath weapon is not produced by the Dragonborn's anatomy and simply needs breath to be expelled.

Edit: I think what this comes down to is just trying to follow the sensible intent of the Wildshape ability. OP's examples seem like trying to subvert the clear design intent. Wildshape is intended to let the druid, through their connection to nature, assume the physiology of beasts (with some special exceptions due to sub-class; e.g. elementals). If we let a player keep Plasmoid features that are clearly drawn from its physiology, then we should let all players keep all racial features while wild shaped, period. It seems odd and unfair to make a special exception for Plasmoids and Changelings.

I somewhat agree.

At the same time, many races do keep their features. Tabaxi movement boost still works, as an example.

I think it's something that would be a case-by-case decision for me. I'd give a player a chance to sell me on why something would or wouldn't work.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The breath weapon example is a weird ruling by Crawford that seems to be based on the idea that a breath weapon is a magical effect, not one that is produced by any particular anatomy in a Dragonborn (or a dragon, presumably). I think that is a strange idea, so I would veto it in my campaign, but that's just me.

However, it seems pretty clear that the various Plasmoid features discussed above are rooted in their plasmoid physiology, so those cases seem more straightforward. They are things a goo creature can do, not a bear.
Does Plasmoid "specify anatomy?" That's the line he drew, whether or not the description does or doesn't specify anatomy.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

To me, it seems odd and unfair to make a special exception for Dragonborn.

Clint_L

Hero
Yeah, I think it's a bad ruling that also makes Dragonborn and Dragons function differently than I had imagined. I kind of pictured them producing the Dragonbreath from within themselves, but apparently that is not the case.

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that.

A dragonborn druid can still use their breath weapon while in animal form.
No, they can't. Dragonborn breath weapon is a physical ability. That's obvious. Mental abilities are things you can do because you know how to do them: skills and proficiencies, casting spells, psionic abilities - if the form you are wildshaped into also has the physical ability to do those things then you can use them whilst wildshaped.
I'm on the fence about sprouting tendrils because it's not entirely clear what the mechanism for that happening is. Squeezing through small spaces seems like a clear "no" though.
It's clear its physical. You can do it because you have a plasmoid body, not a plasmoid mind.

I find the idea that dragon breath is ok because it's magical to be kind of odd. I mean, last I checked, we don't have shapechanging humanoids or sentient goo people in our world either, so if a dragonborn's physiology is magical, then so should a changeling or plasmoid's. Until we have some litmus test for what is or is not a supernatural ability, I'm inclined to say "if a real creature can't do it, then it must be magic".
"It's magical" is irrelevant. The test is is it physical or is it mental? Physical abilities may or may not be magical, mental abilities may or may not be magical.

Remove ads