• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will anyone fill WOTC's shoes with 3E?

Would I stay or would I go?

• I would stay with 3E if a company stepped in to fill the void

Votes: 32 15.8%
  • I'm going on to 4E, no matter what.

Votes: 61 30.0%
  • I'll just go on to another RPG system.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I'm staying with 3E no matter what.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I'm doing something completely different (other)

Votes: 42 20.7%

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Knightfall1972 said:
And think about this, what about the D&D fan websites? Athas.org has created a excellent set of rules for use with Dark Sun, and it's now 3.5 compatible. I'd still love to run a 3.5 Dark Sun game, if I could find some players who were interested in the setting as much as I am.

Sure they might start moving towards a Dark Sun4e, but that doesn't mean Dark Sun3e isn't still available to the fans.
Athas.org will be converting over to 4e - they announced it yesterday on the WotC DS boards.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I've been saying this since 2005, when we first started hearing rumors (which turned out to be correct) that 4E was in development.

I have enough 3E material to last me a lifetime, and my players won't be interested in switching. I'll buy the 4e player's handbook, but I'm sticking with 3e, now and forever, for games I run.

Wombat

First Post
I have gleefully moved my group off D20 a while ago. Thus the 3e/3.5/4e debate no longer makes any difference to us other than in a purely academic, amused kind of way.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
pogre said:
I voted 4E no matter what, but honestly it depends.

I don't know if I can convert an ongoing campaign very well from 3.5 to 4.

They were saying that a conversion of the rules would not make sense.

But for me, something like that never meant that a conversion of themes can't work well.

You'll just look at your character and what he's good at in this edition, and recreate him on a similar power level for the new edition. Heck, you can do this to move a character between different RPGs.

bytor4232

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
I intend to just treat 4e as a separate game, not a continuation of 3.X, I may or may not play it, depending on whether I like what I see, so I reserve judgment in that respect.

Thats pretty much how I'm going about it. It will be a seperate game, unless my players want to switch when the current campaign is over. I do know I'll be on board to play it online, which sounds perfect for me. I don't mind 3.5e, and can run it as long as there is a ready pool of players.

TheAuldGrump said:
I do intend to avoid the 'Digital Initiative/Gleemax/Whatever' completely, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it is more or less required to run/play 4e then I will be more or less required to consign 4e to the burning pit. :p

Not me. The DI is only going to cost as much as my Dungeon and Dragon subscriptions cost me, and I'm not giving up Dungeon and Dragon. Also, I kindof like the idea of getting the articles one at a time, rather than all at once, but thats just me, to each his own.

I answered "other" on the poll for these reasons. I'll be picking up 4e and playing it. If my players want to switch to it, I'll be ready. I may even start a group just for 4e. I won't be throwing away my 3.5e books or my players who want to play 3.5e.

Last edited:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Knightfall1972 said:
And think about this, what about the D&D fan websites? Athas.org has created a excellent set of rules for use with Dark Sun, and it's now 3.5 compatible. I'd still love to run a 3.5 Dark Sun game, if I could find some players who were interested in the setting as much as I am.

The Dragonlance Nexus is going to do a conversion guide so that we can continue to use the d20 Dragonlance books as a foundation. New materials will probably be 4e-focused, though a lot of that depends on the submissions we get. We support all editions of the Dragonlance game. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
bytor4232 said:
Not me. The DI is only going to cost as much as my Dungeon and Dragon subscriptions cost me, and I'm not giving up Dungeon and Dragon.

I won't give up the inheritors of the magazines' spirit, which in my opinion is Pathfinder. If they do a decent job, I also won't give up the magzine's name's inheritors.

Zudrak

Explorer
I switched to Castles & Crusades as d20 "rules bloat" killed the creativity I enjoyed in earlier editions of (A)D&D (though the hiatus between college and restarting in 2000 masked what I was missing). The benefit is that I am no longer an input/output box at the gaming table while also being able to use all of my BECMI, 1e AD&D, 2e AD&D, 3e D&D, and 3.5 D&D books. I have too many dollars and hours invested in my older edition books to throw them away when they gave me just as much enjoyment as a player and even more so as DM.

I'll look at 4e products for inspirational value, perhaps, just like I still do with 3/3.5E ones now.

Jades Ditoyr

First Post
It is an interesting idea, but not one that I see as likely. When 4.0 comes out, all the 3rd parties will be able to reprint old material updated to the new system, and jump onto the 4ed ship.

Seems to be more lucrative.

Remove ads