• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

Reynard

Legend
There are other threads to discuss what one might like to see make the transition from the video game to the tabletop. This isn't that thread. This thread is simply asking "Do you think Baldur's Gate 3 will have a significant impact on the design and/or culture of tabletop D&D?"

Obviously, expound in the comments.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
There have already been posts about being able to "save" before boss fights etc. Not to mention most people already play the "Im a special snowflake" character (I'm a prince who was gifted powers by a vampire made of lava and now I'm the best assassin in the world... at level 1."

BG3 isn't going to change anything that some people weren't already doing in their games already more or less.

Stalker0

Legend
I certainly think that BG3 will influence a few mechanical ideas in the playtest. Will it have a "major impact", probably not.

I think what is more likely to happen is that Dms will be inspired by many of the encounters in BG3, and try to replicate that in their games. for example, having an invincible enemy that can't be hurt until you rescue a captive, or creatures that garrote a party member and then teleport away creating a series of 1 on 1 fights.

Dms that have never tried those kinds of things may see it in BG3 and be inspired to do it themselves.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I certainly think that BG3 will influence a few mechanical ideas in the playtest. Will it have a "major impact", probably not.

I think what is more likely to happen is that Dms will be inspired by many of the encounters in BG3, and try to replicate that in their games. for example, having an invincible enemy that can't be hurt until you rescue a captive, or creatures that garrote a party member and then teleport away creating a series of 1 on 1 fights.

Dms that have never tried those kinds of things may see it in BG3 and be inspired to do it themselves.
Just to note, I like these kinds of things, however, many players vehemently do not. I recall running an AP with two monstrous constructs. The PCs had to buff one, while debuffing the other to win the fight. My players loved it as a break from the usual encounter. Many folks online hated it because their character couldn't just lighting bolt the construct to death. These things have a long history in video games, but are very infrequent in TTRPGs.

Stormonu

Legend
No.

There's been D&D video game hits since The Gold Box days. I can't think of one that has changed the tabletop in any significant way.

It may draw some folks into playing the tabletop, but they are separate experiences. We might see a spell or mechanic from the game, but certainly no change in the direction of the design of the tabletop.

Of course, I'm always wrong on these sort of prognostications for just about anything.

Remove ads