D&D 5E Will items Break 5E?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Magic items are power creep that can break 5E or any other editions of D&D / RPG if given out too much. Attunement is a rule that help balance this but if you bypass it with magic items that don't require attunement or that have too high power curve the party will inevitably get powerful, may be too much depending if the challenges they face are of no match to them anymore.

Define "break".

If you mean: "players feel awesome because you are now stronger than the enemies!" it works as intended.
If you think, every encounter must be perfectly balanced, so that players feel as they had a 50-50 chance to win, yes they break the game. But you can compensate by giving enemies also magic items or just have more enemies or more powerful enemies.

Reynard

Legend
I feel like folks are answering the thread title without bothering to read the OP and answer those questions too, which is kind of frustrating.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Just putting my opinion out there: +1 weapons don't throw the math off for martials, because they were always lagging behind. The Dnd Next playtests had separate proficiency bonuses for martials and casters, and they opted for a uniform PB that is used by every class. This puts the martials a step back, when they are already suffering in many respects in the martial caster disparity.

If you dont give your fighters toys, they will not be able to contribute to combat as effectively, Creatures with resistance to non-magical weapons are pretty common.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Just putting my opinion out there: +1 weapons don't throw the math off for martials, because they were always lagging behind. The Dnd Next playtests had separate proficiency bonuses for martials and casters, and they opted for a uniform PB that is used by every class. This puts the martials a step back, when they are already suffering in many respects in the martial caster disparity.
Throwing the math off is the minor issue, and easily dealt with - if it even needs dealing with.

The bigger issue is - "just" plussed items are boring. They just add a number to a roll and not much else.

If you dont give your fighters toys, they will not be able to contribute to combat as effectively, Creatures with resistance to non-magical weapons are pretty common.

So give the fighters fun toys. There are lots of actually fun magic items that ALSO help the fighter contribute.

Reynard

Legend
Yep, they really are, but why did they require fighters to have them to be effective against monsters with NM resistance?
Magic weapons don't require a + before adding the "good stuff" like they did in previous editions. You can have a weapon with no bonuses or powers at all and it can be magic (moontouched as an example). The real problem is that all spells are considered magic damage when they probably shouldn't be in the 5e resistance design paradigm.

I feel like folks are answering the thread title without bothering to read the OP and answer those questions too, which is kind of frustrating.

Ok. Yes, we have a great amount of good items. No they did not break anything.
Attunement is quite limiting the powerful items. I can't put on both gloves of strength and headband of intellect.
Also helm of thoughts has to stay kn the bag of holding.
Each and everyone of those items is a great asset but I have to choose.
Even more impactful than magic items is clever use of low level magic (up to level 3) and skill use in a level 11 game.

We feel powerful, partly because of our items, but we don't ever feel like stomping every encounter.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yep, they really are, but why did they require fighters to have them to be effective against monsters with NM resistance?
As @Reynard said, they didn't.

A frostbrand or flametongue are not "plussed" but are magical.

And I'm not just talking about weapons. Plussed armor is also magical but boring. There are LOTS of more fun options for armor and shields than just the plussed variety.

Last edited:

Art Waring

halozix.com
Magic weapons don't require a + before adding the "good stuff" like they did in previous editions. You can have a weapon with no bonuses or powers at all and it can be magic (moontouched as an example). The real problem is that all spells are considered magic damage when they probably shouldn't be in the 5e resistance design paradigm.
I didn't say they needed "plus weapons", I said they need a magic weapon period to deal damage to creatures with non-magical resistances. I am aware that magic weapons in 5e dont always provide a plus bonus, but fighters still need a magic weapon to be effective.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases