Will the end of Game of Thrones keep you away from House of Dragons?

Mallus

Legend
Ok, so aside from an instance of obligatory unnecessary violence that bore a distinct resemblance to later seasons of GoT, it was very good. A bit flat in the very beginning, but that gets fixed as soon as Matt Smith pops up (sporting the traditional awful Targaryen wig).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's actually the sexual violence of GoT that's keeping me away from the new show. I'm just not interested in putting that kind of stuff into my brain right now.
I am curious as to whether we're going to see that in the new show. I think there's been a lot of very public discussion about it, including by stars of the original show. I hope they tone it way, way back this time around.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
You'll get your fill of gratuitous nudity and violence in this pilot. GoT is back!

I found the narration in the beginning a little weird. Felt like they wanted to thrust you right into the action. Then, slowed down and let the story settle in. I wish they would have gone a bit slower and used more exposition to introduce us to this new story. What do they say? Show; Don't tell.

Matt Smith is going to be great. Bad wig or not.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How about you? If you felt burned by the end of GoT, is that keeping you away from HoD?

I didn't feel "burned" by the end. I didn't make it past some place in the second season, I think. Having read the books, it came across as... a sort of Cliff's Notes version, so I lost interest. I don't foresee this being interesting enough to pick up, given the glut of other things I have to watch right now.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I was disappointed by the end of GoT, but I wouldn't say I felt burned by it.
In any event, that disappointment didn't stop me from watching the first episode of House of the Dragon. I'm more likely to ditch out of it because of the generally asininity and shenanigans being played with HBO Max right now with the Discovery+ merger.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The show, wigs aside, looks like a million bucks. And as a DM, I admire the multiple bad choices they stuck poor Viserys with -- whatever path he chose, it's almost inevitably civil war.

I did find the showrunners elbowing me in the ribs and saying "catch that Game of Thrones foreshadowing? How about that one? Ooh, and that one" a little embarrassing. We get it, guys. That's why we're here. You don't need to pound us over the head with this.

I loved the last season of Game of Thrones, so no issue for me.
I'm keen for the spin off even if I don't think it will be as good as the original series.

I never watched the later seasons. What gives me pause about both this and the Lord of the Rings television show is the mediocrity of that Wheel of Time adaptation, which made me realize that a Hollywood writers room on a deadline is not fertile grounds for creating epic fantasy, at least not without hewing fairly close to source material produced by an author taking their long sweet time with a coherent vision.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases