Pathfinder 2E Will the OGL fiasco increase third party support for Pathfinder?

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
During its height of popularity, Pathfinder had a considerable amount of 3PPs. Not nearly as much as 3E or 5E, but it even had it's share of successful Kickstarter campaigns (including some I'm still waiting to receive). But many left for 5E, others disappeared after failing to deliver kickstarted books and most didn't make the switch to PF2. It honestly seemed like PF1 had a bigger 3rd party support than PF2 which mostly had Legendary Games and BattleZoo.
But now it seems like PF2 has gained momentum, which, if sustained, could boost its viability for 3PPs, especially in combination with Paizo declaring most of their mechanics open content.
So, has any publisher recently announced their intent to support PF2 or are they waiting how the ORC license turns out and if the people currently switching over will stay?

dave2008

Legend
But now it seems like PF2 has gained momentum, which, if sustained, could boost its viability for 3PPs, especially in combination with Paizo declaring most of their mechanics open content.
Paizo has always made most, if not all, of their mechanics open content. The only new thing is they plan to use ORC in the future instead of the OGL.
So, has any publisher recently announced their intent to support PF2 or are they waiting how the ORC license turns out and if the people currently switching over will stay?
I imagine it will get more support, but they really have to wait until ORC is finished, or a least drafted, I would think.

aco175

Legend
I wonder if a DMsGuild for Pathfinder on their end would attract more people to publish under that brand. They could have it already, I'm not sure. Small 3pp may make games that can be bought in either format like what I have seen with some of the Pathfinder adventures where they release them in 5e as well.

No-
Evidence-my states flgs have barely a pathfinder presence and have stopped selling the miniature product as it doesn’t move off shelves. It’s now a special order product
Wiz kids miniatures-huge decrease in the 2022 product and lately the miniature offerings is very specialized. Online singles for pathfinder is barely available compared to even critical role

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
No-
Evidence-my states flgs have barely a pathfinder presence and have stopped selling the miniature product as it doesn’t move off shelves. It’s now a special order product
Wiz kids miniatures-huge decrease in the 2022 product and lately the miniature offerings is very specialized. Online singles for pathfinder is barely available compared to even critical role
I'm not sure if that evidence still applies. This years happenings might have been quite a game changer (no pun intended).

No only a few people will switch over. D&d is much easier to play and better for mass appeal . Pathfinder would have to come out with version 3.0 and literally d&d would stop selling at Barnes and noble etc.
other than here most local gamers aren’t even aware of 3rd party publishers

Remove ads