D&D 5E Will you buy the new Gift Set with Monsters of the Multiverse?

Will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Separate Monsters book in May

Votes: 39 29.3%
  • Digital Monsters book (DDB/FG/Roll20 etc) in May

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 4.5%

I own neither Volos or MToF, was looking to grab one when this was announced so waited, hoped the individual book would be sooner, still on the fence on doing the two originals or the new book in May, leaning toward the two originals for the lore…but only going to ever read through that once likely, and it’s “available“ if I go with new book. I guess my real choice is lore on the shelf to occasionally page through or updated monsters (minimal an not much of a concern) and slightly better race options for my players…who only need a total of about 4 characters a year.

Figured a lot of the lore stuff would be dropped, but kinda hoped at least somewhat abbreviated versions would be worked long, for a MM, intros for the variant descriptions, and for inclusion of monsters from all the adventure books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I own neither Volos or MToF, was looking to grab one when this was announced so waited, hoped the individual book would be sooner, still on the fence on doing the two originals or the new book in May, leaning toward the two originals for the lore…but only going to ever read through that once likely, and it’s “available“ if I go with new book. I guess my real choice is lore on the shelf to occasionally page through or updated monsters (minimal an not much of a concern) and slightly better race options for my players…who only need a total of about 4 characters a year.

Figured a lot of the lore stuff would be dropped, but kinda hoped at least somewhat abbreviated versions would be worked long, for a MM, intros for the variant descriptions, and for inclusion of monsters from all the adventure books.
No, it seem the lore stuff is mostly dropped.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Absolutely no chance with the Gift set.

Digital would be next but with Beyond we don't even know what it'll contain so that's out for now.

And honestly I don't have any reviews of how good the changes to the monsters are. I expect I might pick it up eventually, but not May.
The monsters, from what we've sen, aren't really made any "vetter," it's a pretty lateral move to shift around some bookkeeping behind the screen (spell management being simplified, primarily) , don't really look like theybwill play that differently.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I would have just gotten the stand alone, but that alt cover set sure is pretty. So I reserved a copy...

Also, I want the book so I can better align with the current design style guide for my own projects I'm working on, so...

The monsters, from what we've sen, aren't really made any "vetter," it's a pretty lateral move to shift around some bookkeeping behind the screen (spell management being simplified, primarily) , don't really look like theybwill play that differently.
Really? The Duergar (or Derro, I forget which) we saw would definitely play both differently and better.

I'm happy to buy the digital book, since it's convenient to have both digital and print versions of monsters. But I'm also patient. New and improved is nice, but I don't need instant gratification now.

Personally, if I had to choose I would just have the monsters/lineages without the boring waffley lore sections of the older books.

Last edited:

Remove ads