• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you buy the preview books?

Will you buy the 4E preview books?

• Yes

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 167 72.0%

• Poll closed .

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I will check it out in the FLGS, I don't anticipate buying it, but if it really blows me away when I see it I may do.

More than most other products, it is difficult to guess what it will actually be like.

Cheers

The Little Raven

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
More than most other products, it is difficult to guess what it will actually be like.

A collection of concept art, design philosophies, and essays by the developers/designers talking about the process of doing fourth edition, the history of the project, and their goals.

And that's not a guess, that's based directly on what has been said about it several times by several people (including Scott Rouse).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mourn said:
A collection of concept art, design philosophies, and essays by the developers/designers talking about the process of doing fourth edition, the history of the project, and their goals.

Sure, that's a description of what it is, but I don't think that makes it any easier to guess what it will be like, whether it is worth having.

The Little Raven

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Sure, that's a description of what it is, but I don't think that makes it any easier to guess what it will be like, whether it is worth having.

Well, I think it's a matter of asking yourself "Do I really enjoy all those 'Making-Of' and 'Behind the Scenes' stuff that come on DVDs, and would I be willing to pay separately for it?"

And having just spent the past week watching all of the Star Wars (original trilogy) and LotR documentaries on the DVDs, I'm definitely interested. After all, I'm just an amateur game designer and find the insights of professionals to be stimulating and educational.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Still not buying it (or the second one).

After hearing more about it a month ago (or whenever we got a breakdown of its contents), though, I did go from "No way no how" to "Not really for me." I'm not too excited about commentary and art and whatnot; just doesn't interest me. I crave mechanics.

I am buying Keep on the Shadowfell, however, FWIW. That's more what I'm looking for in previews.

The Little Raven

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
I crave mechanics.

I crave mechanics too. But I also crave the design philosophy for those mechanics so I can have more context. I don't like to just see what a designer has done, but also the how and the why.

Remove ads