D&D 5E Will you continue to give WotC D&D your $$$

Have the microsoft suits at WotC otherwise gone too far?

No. Categorically not.

I'd refused to buy anything from WotC for over a decade after 4e came out. I was one of the people who felt "fired" by WotC after the bungled mess that was 4th editions design, marketing and rollout.

I'd only just started to slowly come over to 5e and to buying WotC products again a little over 2 years ago. Now this.

Feels like getting burned all over again, for the same reasons I left the first time.

Oofta

Legend
To be clear, all evidence points to only one person in the D&D upper chain of command not being a gamer.

One of the strikes against Cocks taking over Hasbro was that he's a gamer. The guy that's now Head of Studio? Gamer. Head of D&D brand, Nathan Stewart? Gamer.

Gamers are making these decisions.

Are they the ones making the calls though? I read that the people at WOTC didn't hear details about any of this until January. Whether that's true or not, it would not surprise me in the least if this decision came down from someone in HASBRO who has never touched a D20.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I probably wasn't clear enough, but the people currently running the show are business people who apparently have played games thus people calling them suits. I've seen people say we need a Gygax type figure that's a gamer first and foremost. Considering the job he did managing the business aspect, I'm fine with a suit who understands the game industry running things. I want a healthy company that can continue to push the game in different directions, like how DDB was a key focus on the direction of the game from all accounts.
The only pushing the game in new directions i want to see is creatively, and WotC certainly hasn't done that.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Are they the ones making the calls though? I read that the people at WOTC didn't hear details about any of this until January. Whether that's true or not, it would not surprise me in the least if this decision came down from someone in HASBRO who has never touched a D20.
Are the decisions at D&D not being made by some combination of the CEO of Hasbro, the President of Wizards and the D&D heads of Brand and Studio?

If it isn't those four people, what secret cabal is it?

Faolyn

(she/her)
If Pathfinder would take inspiration from Free League on presenting a modern RPG I would have jumped long ago. I just can't stand reading their books.
What does Free League do that's so good? I haven't read their stuff--or, honestly, any Pathfinder stuff, so I don't know the differences between them.

Richards

Legend
I stopped buying stuff from WotC when they moved on to 4E and I didn't. So, while I could see myself potentially buying some miniatures or something, almost all of the product they produce nowadays is already pretty useless to me. And I've already got enough 3.0/3.5 material to last me the rest of my life.

Johnathan

Oofta

Legend
Are the decisions at D&D not being made by some combination of the CEO of Hasbro, the President of Wizards and the D&D heads of Brand and Studio?

If it isn't those four people, what secret cabal is it?

I'm just relaying an unsupported rumor that the WOTC was not informed of details. Isn't that half of what this is all about? ;)

More seriously, it would make sense to me if it was someone in HASBRO above WOTC that pushed this but we don't know for certain who exactly was involved or what their thinking was. Whoever did it, it was certainly a mistake. Even people with the best of intentions f*** up sometimes.

Vael

Legend
Possibly. I had just assumed I'd shift to One DnD when it comes out, but now it's gone to "Wait and see". This year's offerings hadn't really interested me anyway, but now they're definitely a pass.

fjw70

Adventurer
There is nothing that WotC has on the docket in the near term I was super excited about. I probably have all the WotC stiff I need for what I have planned for most of the the remaining year. So I am in a wait and see posture for now. Maybe I will in the future and maybe I won’t. We will see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases