• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you submit a Setting Proposal

Are you going to submit a setting proposal?

• No.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 34 18.7%
  • Yes, I plan to submit one.

Votes: 76 41.8%
  • Yes, I plan to submit two.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Yes, I plan to submit three.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Yes, I plan to submit four or more.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I still don\'t think this is real.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Submit it to who?

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Poll closed .

KDLadage

Explorer
I have already mailed one off; I am polishing up the second.

Should be very interesting. I really hope that Morrus will see about putting together a collection of the 10-pagers that didn't make it... I figure it like this:

10 pages per proposal; 10 that get to write those; 7 do not get into the next stage. This means that there will be just shy of 100 pages of untapped material (once you add in some obligatory artwork).

Now, gather those up, pay the authors about $0.02 to $0.04 cents a word for the material to flesh them out to about 25 pages or so. I am guessing, but I figure most (at those rates) would be willing to sell the material in this way.

You could then run a short contest on ENWorld with those 7 proposals, and give the top two a little reward, and ask them to flesh it out to (say...) 75 pages or so.

This would mean you would have:
--- 2x 75-page settings (150 pages)
--- 5x 25-page settings (125 pages)

At 275 pages, you could then talk with one of the d20 publishing houses. Get them to print the material up into a large hard-cover book (or two smaller ones).

Arrange the setting in alphabetical order by author. The exception to this being the two 75 pages, which you put up front. If you go the two book route, place one of the winners in each of the books.

Do an innitial run with an autograph page of the writers and sell them as "special editions" (a-la Ravenloft). Sell those only at ENWorld and at the web site for the house that fronts the printing costs.

After a month or so, release it to the world in stores.

The only thing I cannot figure out right now is a title for the book(s)...

Last edited:

wdodd

First Post
KDLadage said:
10 pages per proposal; 100 that get to write those; 97 do not get in. This means that there will be just shy of 1000 pages of untapped material (once you add in some obligatory artwork).
Not a bad idea, but how did you arrive at 100 ten-pagers? WoTC is only going to ask for 10 of those, right? I imagine a lot of people will start ten-pagers just to be ready, but 100 might be optimistic.

Weldon

Yuan-Ti

First Post
KDLadage said:

10 pages per proposal; 100 that get to write those; 97 do not get in. This means that there will be just shy of 1000 pages of untapped material (once you add in some obligatory artwork).

Um. My copy of the call for proposals says that TEN settings will be chosen for expansion to 10 pages. Not one-hundred.

Edit: Yeah, what wdodd said.

Last edited:

KDLadage

Explorer
Oops... not sure what I was thinking there (brain-fart)... but, this means that you could afford to pay a little more. So I have ammended my proposal above...

Carnifex

First Post
Hmmm. I like KDLadage's idea.

I'm not going to bother trying to write up my seeting for WotC. Firstly, the competition is going to be huge, it really is. Also, I have other stuff to concentrate on at the moment, including a d20 product I'm writing that probably has a far better chance of being published than if I submit a setting proposal to WotC. Finally, I don't *want* my setting to become an official one, ntoa t the moment anyway. I like it the way it is, but to make it into something viable for submitting I would need to put in some significant changes to it.

Krug

Newshound
Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure WotC would reject some of the more way-out ideas. It sounds like they're looking for soemthing pretty conventional, not too far removed from the Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms mould.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads