• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you submit a Setting Proposal

Are you going to submit a setting proposal?

• No.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 34 18.7%
  • Yes, I plan to submit one.

Votes: 76 41.8%
  • Yes, I plan to submit two.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Yes, I plan to submit three.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Yes, I plan to submit four or more.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I still don\'t think this is real.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Submit it to who?

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Poll closed .

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
I'm submitting mine but I have no real hopes for it. As it has been pointed out the competition is going to be pretty intense. My wife even told me last night I had a better chance at winning the lotto (which I play twice a week) because at least there I have random chance in my favor. This from someone who has played in two different campaigns in my world and knows how much detail I've put into it.

I'll throw my hat in, if I get lucky I get lucky. If nothing else this has forced me to get organized enough to prepare some article submissions to Dragon. If I can't get in this way, I'll try a more common entrance.

Oracular Vision

First Post
I am aiming at 100, as I can punch out 10 per day easily, unless I run out of ideas. I am a professional writer, and writing to spec is something I do all the time. I suspect most people will submit 1 though. This does have the aspect of a lottery, I think they are looking for fresh ideas more than polish, polished work is what they will want for the 10 pagers...

Vaxalon

First Post
This is not a lottery. They are not going to pull them out of a hat.

They want polished, fresh, marketable ideas, expressed eloquently. They want everything. If there's ANY reason to knock you out, they'll knock you out.

Krug

Newshound
Sigma said:
Wait...is everyone else sumbitting a Ninjaworld too?

Dang! Back to the drawing board. :(

No. Mine is Hamster Ninjaworld. They assassinate for pecan nuts. :D

You guys don't stand a chance! :p

Rahkan

First Post
"Stuffing the Box"

Does anyone have any idea what WOTC is looking for? Because I sure as hell don't. Its not like writing a short story, where it merely has to be entertaining (as well as of a generalized mold that tends to sell well amongst the magazines readership). None of us has any idea what the judges are looking for. FR is obviously a pretty generic setting, but what about it made it better than all the other generic settings? Are they looking for a setting, or for interesting heroes or villains? Perhaps they are looking for some interesting way to handle magic? Again I don't know. But perhaps one of the castaway ideas somebody tosses out as their fifth proposal will make a judge say "Yea, that matches the vague, malformed image in my head of what might possibly make WOTC some money at some time in the future".

Not to mention that since there will be different judges, each with different ideas of what is the setting they are looking for then maybe if you say basically the same thing three times it will click with one of the judges.

Ghostwind

First Post
Re: "Stuffing the Box"

Does anyone have any idea what WOTC is looking for? Because I sure as hell don't.

What Wotc is looking for is laid out in the template that was provided with the proposal. They want a fantasy campaign setting with a medieval level of technology that they can develop into a brand new campaign setting.

For those who are considering submitting, I offer these suggestions:
-Originality is better than copies. Wotc isn't looking for another Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance. They want something original but yet fits the criteria they have established.
-Be concise and clear in your wording. Answer the 6 points from the templates and expand from there.
-Be professional. Spellcheck and proofread!!!!
-Follow the directions in the proposal!!

Do this much and your chances will improve somewhat for at least making it to round 2.

For the record, I will be submitting only one proposal that all of my energy gets poured into. If it's not selected, then I will put it on the shelf, finish my current assignments, then brush it off, fix anything that's broken and approach other publishers. One point to remember, just because Wotc doesn't select it does not mean it's junk and not worth publishing. If you are serious about getting into the business, then use this opportunity as a stepping stone to get your foot in the door somewhere...

Warchild

First Post
Of course i am/just did! What has anyone got to lose? Postage? Most of my homebrews are off the beaten path a bit, so i created something new thats not so radical that i've been thinking about for a while and we'll see what happens.

ninthcouncil

First Post
There is going to be a hell of a lot of snow. Most of the submissions will be quite egregrious, to use the Bill S. Preston idiom (in fact, many of them will appear to have been written by Bill S. Preston. I'd guess a lot of people will send in essentially the same submission in several different styles, just in case....

Personally I plan on sending in one centre-field and one left-field submission off my own bat. I also intend to have an enjoyable couple of evenings brainstorming some more with friends, if only to see what insane core ethos sentences we can come up with :D It does no harm, and should be a lot of fun....

uv23

First Post
assuming its real...

...its very tempting. I am currently working on a campaign setting that will be published. But I'm not comfortable with just handing it over and saying "here, please take ownership of the IP I've been slaving like a dog over for the last year." Its a trade off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads