D&D 5E Will your monsters roll for damage, or have set damage?

Usually I roll damage. I am however open to using average results to speed up combats against many foes that aren't intended to be particularly challenging (such as the kobold hordes).

As far as rolled hit points, I vehemently oppose them with all the fiery wrath of Baator. Average hit points are the only hit points in my games.

keterys

First Post
I'm a big fan of average damage except in dramatic tension moments. I'll cheerfully never roll for random kobolds or the like again, though.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Rolling for damage, here. The fixed damage for minions in 4e is something which really irks me. From a DM point of view it makes combats too predictable, removing an element of suspense.

While using fixed damage for masses is a good idea, I generally don't use hordes of monsters anyway.

Li Shenron

Legend
I have probably always rolled. I like randomness in the magnitude also, not just in the chance (spells too). I like physically rolling dice. I don't think this is where I need to save up time.

Rolling for damage, here. The fixed damage for minions in 4e is something which really irks me. From a DM point of view it makes combats too predictable, removing an element of suspense.

It only removes an element of suspense in a meaningful sense where it was a meaningful element of suspense, though, not to be cute about it.

In most cases, the major element of suspense is hit/miss, in D&D. It's often 50/50 or close to that, and typically a miss means zero damage. That's your very major element of suspense.

Damage is typically either:

A) On a narrow range - like with a small die, or a larger die with a relatively large bonus. In either case it's not very suspenseful. (Examples - 1d6, or 1d10+9)

or

B) With a very strong average - i.e. lots of dice being rolled, particularly smaller dice. (Example: 6d4 or 8d6 or the like).

With B you might get some "fake suspense" by rolling the dice, because most players don't really instinctively get averages, but even then, it's questionable whether it's worth the time, especially with smarter players. D4s in particular are annoying enough to handle, and with such a tendency towards average results that if a game tells me I don't have to roll them, I will not roll them.

You only get strong suspense from damage rolls (as opposed to to-hit rolls) if:

C) The damage roll is a fairly wide range, and the PC(s) have fairly few HP - for example, if the PCs all have 4-12 HP, and the enemies are rolling a damage with a wide range - for example - 1d12, or perhaps 2d10 (even the latter is average enough to reduce the suspense considerably for "wise" players, though).

Once PCs get more HP, or if enemies roll more dice, or rely more on damage bonuses than dice, rolling those dice becomes way less relevant.

I'd probably roll all dice for non-swarms from level 1-4 or so (assuming 5E sticks with it's current "low" HP totals for low-level characters, rather than reverting to playtest 2's much higher values), but I think after that, average damage would be a good idea for most mooks.

Also, re: 4E minions, I don't think it's a tenable position to maintain that it actually makes combats predictable, as to get the same damage values, you'd almost always be rolling multiple dice with a bonus - for example, the minions in my last level 13 combat in 4E did 12 damage - that'd probably be 2d8+3 - which is going to average so close to 12 over, say, ten hits, that it will not make combat significantly more predictable. The hit/miss is what makes D&D combat unpredictable and swingy, not the damage values - certainly above low levels. This is easy to demonstrate mathematically, too, it's not really something one can argue about much. Only large single dice and small HP totals make for strongly suspenseful damage-rolls.

Cybit

First Post
Both

In my home game with coworkers - rolled damage.

In my game with my younger players (8-12 years old), going to use fixed damage, to teach them division / addition / subtraction / multiplication and algebra. That way, they can figure out how many "hits" they can take and stuff like that. Math, biznitches! :D

Uller

Adventurer
I roll both damage and HP. Damage (and attacks) I generally roll in the open so the players can gauge the amount of danger they are in. HP I keep secret but give clues ("You do 10 damage? He shrugs that off as if it is nothing" or "That really hurt, he's definitely slowing down and you can see he's starting to look for an escape route.")

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I roll monster's damage most of the time, but i sometimes average damage when i have lots of monsters on to speed things up.

I also often do it when i am away from my desk as i stand next to the map....i am lazy like that!
:)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Sometimes my players get wise to it ("I have 15 hp and the duergar deal 14 damage, so I can survive this hit!"), and in those cases I do roll damage.

Ah ha ha! I came into this thread thinking, "Why would anyone ever use static damage?" But that might be the greatest dungeon master dick move ever! I love it!

Remove ads