• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winning Races: Dwarves

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Yeah, it seems like a mix of way too good and "waste of feat".

I love the idea of racially-based content (I'd love to see race elevated to near parity with class as a part of character definition) but adding feats like these and in most cases not even making them dwarf-only???

Scribble

First Post
This is a rather disappointing article for me (besides, it's not like Dwarves needed more support). And I hate clutter :(

Based on their "Story First" comment I wonder if they are building these with the knowledge that it's kind of repetitive?

Like a person who is playing a dwarf and looking for a feat, and isn't necessarily building from a perspective of what does the feat give me, as opposed to the flavor element might just be looking in the dwarf feats section.

That person might never leave the dwarf section, and might never encounter the other similar feat outside of the dwarf section, yet still has a chance at a similar bonus.

Hope that made sense.

Clangeddin's Axe Expertise is typically going to be worse than plain old Axe Expertise. I see it as pretty much unnecessary clutter, since at best, it's a 0.5 difference in damage.

Exactly how is it worse? It scales the same with Axe Expertise and you get the bonus at level 11 and 21, not 15 and 25. It also gives you a damage re-roll against larger creatures. It seems, I don't know, better? Since it does more and benefits you earlier. >.>

So you only have a problem with DWT in regards to the Str classes? What about Avengers and Battleminds? Both benefit from either the +2 Con or +2 Wisdom, but oh no, give the dwarves a Str bonus and all of a sudden it's the end of the world. Keep in mind that DWT is a static +2 where as the Githzerai get access to all simple and martial heavy blades as well as the Fullblade and Bastard Sword along with a scaling bonus.

Good thing you answered his question right and didn't spout off about his opinions being a "problem"? So defensive... Chill out.

Also, how many weapon classes are based off Con/Wis vs. Strength?

Based on their "Story First" comment I wonder if they are building these with the knowledge that it's kind of repetitive?

Like a person who is playing a dwarf and looking for a feat, and isn't necessarily building from a perspective of what does the feat give me, as opposed to the flavor element might just be looking in the dwarf feats section.

That person might never leave the dwarf section, and might never encounter the other similar feat outside of the dwarf section, yet still has a chance at a similar bonus.

Hope that made sense.

Goody, so we can have 1000's more useless feats? If this IS the theory, then it is a monumentally dumb theory. If they're going to do this then why not just make new feats EXACTLY the same as existing ones with just different fluff? At least then they won't be actually making someone's character WORSE. One of the whole points of 4e was to avoid trap options that require deep system knowledge to avoid.

This is just sloppy reviewing of material if you ask me. There isn't even ONE feat in here that should have been published as-is. The THOUGHT may be nice, but they need to somehow figure out a way to have someone cluefull take a look at these articles before they roll them out.

Scribble

First Post
Goody, so we can have 1000's more useless feats? If this IS the theory, then it is a monumentally dumb theory. If they're going to do this then why not just make new feats EXACTLY the same as existing ones with just different fluff? At least then they won't be actually making someone's character WORSE. One of the whole points of 4e was to avoid trap options that require deep system knowledge to avoid.

Well I can't speak to the power level of them. I was only speaking about the "repetitive" nature.

(Someone else did seem to feel they weren't less powerful then the other ones they were similar too though...)

nookiemonster

First Post
Keep in mind that DWT is a static +2 where as the Githzerai get access to all simple and martial heavy blades as well as the Fullblade and Bastard Sword along with a scaling bonus.

It is a static +2, but it also gives you access to the superior axes and hammers from Adventurer's Vault (since DWT gives you proficiency with "all axes and hammers"), which have Brutal. E.g. Executioner Axe (superior Greataxe) Brutal 2. So in effect, DWT gives you +3. Prior to the stat change, dwarves were one point of attack roll and one point of damage short of everyone else. Now, not only are they on a par with everyone else in stats, they have a feat that gives them Epic level damage bonus at level 1.

Drakhar

First Post
It is a static +2, but it also gives you access to the superior axes and hammers from Adventurer's Vault (since DWT gives you proficiency with "all axes and hammers"), which have Brutal. E.g. Executioner Axe (superior Greataxe) Brutal 2. So in effect, DWT gives you +3. Prior to the stat change, dwarves were one point of attack roll and one point of damage short of everyone else. Now, not only are they on a par with everyone else in stats, they have a feat that gives them Epic level damage bonus at level 1.

See this I don't believe. Nearly every Str based class benefits from Con and/or Wisdom, so the points other races save by having a +2 Str, a dwarf saves in those stats. And again, Battlemind and Avengers both use the dwarves current stat bonuses and benefit from the superior weapons as well, hell Avenger even more so due to increased crit chance, and the Githzerai stat bonuses apply to just as many if not more weapon classes, give proficiency with almost all heavy blades and a +2/3/4 bonus, there is no reason for people to be claiming that DWT is now OP.

Mengu

First Post
Exactly how is it worse? It scales the same with Axe Expertise and you get the bonus at level 11 and 21, not 15 and 25. It also gives you a damage re-roll against larger creatures. It seems, I don't know, better? Since it does more and benefits you earlier. >.>

I believe the scaling is the same as essentials feats (if not, it will be by the time the article is compiled). And the essentials axe expertise also gives a reroll on a 1, except on all dice not just 2, so with your 3[W] power if you get trip ones, you get to reroll them all. And it's not only against large creatures. The Axe Expertise feat and the Clangeddin's Axe Expertise feats occupy the same design space, and function in barely different ways, so I consider the later one to be clutter.

Remove ads