Winning Races: Dwarves

jelmore

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Winning Races: Dwarves)

12 new feats that are compatible with the Essentials line, such as:

Beneath Notice
You know how to use your enemy’s size against it. With an ally for distraction, you occupy your foe’s blind spot.
Benefit: When you and an ally are adjacent to the same enemy of Large or greater size, you gain combat advantage against that enemy.

Resolute Stamina
You possess more fighting spirit than most. With effort, you dig deeper, steeling your resolve and reinvigorating your mind and body.
Prerequisite: Constitution 15
Benefit: You can use your second wind twice per encounter.

Jack99

Adventurer
Not to mention an upgrade to weapon expertise, at least for dwarves using an axe.

Also a feat to get a save when you use your SW. Combined with Resolute Stamina, thats pretty nice.

Aegeri

First Post
Not to mention an upgrade to weapon expertise, at least for dwarves using an axe.

Actually it's probably worse overall than the essentials axe expertise feat, which gives you the ability to reroll 1 die of damage on any attack (as opposed to just against large and bigger opponents). The feat isn't racially restricted to dwarves in any way though.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
What I'm wondering about is the Dwarf Protector feat. It gives you a +1 to hit enemies that are adjacent to your dwarf allies with an axe. Fair enough, it has a lot of flavor. However, it doesn't go up per tier and it's a feat bonus so it doesn't stack with expertise of any kind. It just seems like an extremely substandard feat given how few situations it applies in.

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
What I'm wondering about is the Dwarf Protector feat. It gives you a +1 to hit enemies that are adjacent to your dwarf allies with an axe. Fair enough, it has a lot of flavor. However, it doesn't go up per tier and it's a feat bonus so it doesn't . It just seems like an extremely substandard feat given how few situations it applies in.

Yes, it's absolutely terrible.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Shouldn't be a feat bonus, as it's entirely shadowed by expertise. Is almost okay if it's untyped, assuming your party build supports it.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I like the feats generally speaking.

They are a bit sexier than PHB feats, but it seems like thats going to be true across the board for Essentials.

I am kinda sad that dwarf feats don't really have being a dwarf as a prerequisite. It seems like they're doing away with a lot of that.

Obergnom

First Post
I like the picture :)

That said, I just build a Human Wildblood Warden of level 9 to play in a friends Tomb of Horrors campaign... Resolute Stamina in the hands of a warden would be way to good. The Warden can can do a lot of stuff with second wind, even the dwarvens minor action surge makes it hard to pass them as race.

I guess they do not really check what essentials stuff does with the old games classes?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
That said, I just build a Human Wildblood Warden of level 9 to play in a friends Tomb of Horrors campaign... Resolute Stamina in the hands of a warden would be way to good. The Warden can can do a lot of stuff with second wind, even the dwarvens minor action surge makes it hard to pass them as race.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. And that's going to be doubly true once Essentials come out and you can make a +2 STR, +2 CON Dwarf. They far overshadow all other races as a Warden.

Baumi

Adventurer
I like the size and crunchiness of that article (the last Race and Class ones were far too short), but sadly it is really bad crunsh. :(

Most of the Feats are really just more situational versions of already existing ones and the one feat that is interesting (the second wind one) is far too overpowered ... I mean 2 second winds and each as a minor action and all that from 1st Level on. :eek:

P.S.: Ups, I thought that these are dwarves only ... but there are no prequesits here! So the second wind feat is a bit more balanced (since everyone can get it)..

Last edited:

Remove ads