Level Up (A5E) Martial Artistry (3pp book in the works) Ideas and Concepts

i don't really like that it doesn't stack. it just doesn't seem to mesh so well with extra attack that way. but i guess if you let it stack then you could have an entire party completely negate an enemy's movement by laying into them with large-caliber firearms (even if you halved the speed penalties), so i get it.
I agree with you. I think it's a valid point, and the issue of totally negating the movement could be mitigated by specifying that the target movement can't be reduced below Xft or something similar.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
i don't really like that it doesn't stack. it just doesn't seem to mesh so well with extra attack that way. but i guess if you let it stack then you could have an entire party completely negate an enemy's movement by laying into them with large-caliber firearms (even if you halved the speed penalties), so i get it.
The original impulse was just to do 5ft increments per hit. Then I thought of the absolute movement shutdown of a party, yeah.
will the thundering bombard tradition incorporate any of the firearm properties? or will that also function normally with the AG firearms?
Function normally with regular firearms.
don't these already exist in a5e as rare weapons? or is this like firearms where you're intentionally redoing them and i'm just dumb?
I don't mean "Exotic Weapons as a separate weapon category" I more mean "The list" coming back. Rare weapons are a thing and they even have the "Double Weapon". But they don't have Spiked Chain as it's own thing, Whip-Daggers, Lightblades and Thinblades, Shotput, but also some IP Free Athasian weapons. Like the Alhulak and Gythka.

Steampunkette

Supporter
How many exotic weapons are going to be a part of "The List"? Inquiring martials want to know.... ;)
That I don't know. I'm still trying to recover from last night.

I took a sleeping pill around 8pm last night to try and force myself to get some actual shut-eye rather than getting up to write.

Then just before midnight I got up to write.

I'm not gonna lie, I made a mess of a document. And also at some point I HID MY CHEEZ-ITS FROM MYSELF.

I keep a little box of Cheez-its or some other snack on my desk 'cause when I get into a writing-frenzy I will go 12 hours without eating or drinking unless there is something physically on my desk I can just grab and nibble upon as I go. And it can't be something that requires cooking/heating 'cause it'll sit there cold and I won't eat it 'cause gross. (I also keep a 24 pack of Diet Pepsi, a gallon jug of water, and a gallon jug of Hawaiian Punch within arm's reach).

At some point during my messy sleep-addled writing spree last night I took the box of cheez-its off my desk, pulled back the curtain from the sliding glass door beside my desk, put the box of cheez-its on the sliding door track, and then put the curtain back into place. And let me be clear: I have no recollection of this or reason to -do- this.

I woke up today and I was searching the house for the Cheez-its. Like kitchen, living room, fridge, pantry, bathroom, back to the pantry, back to the living room, all the cupboards... I sincerely began to question whether we had bought Cheez-its and started gaslighting myself.

Then I let the dog out the back door and found them when the box lightly crunched as the door smushed them a bit.

But I -can- tell you there will be ridiculous stuff on the list. Once I sort it all out and make it... y'know. Legible.

Apparently sleepy me forgot how to format a table in HTML and everything is all squooshed together in a paragraph with html markdowns I have to decode.

Your talk here about weapons in Martial Artistry made me dig up my copy of Bastion Press' Arms and Armor: Complete Weapons and Armor for v3.5. This book contains a number of weapons and armors that aren't found in 3.5e D&D's PHB. One such example from this book are Rang Blade Swords. Imagine a single-edged sword with two air foils attached to it, one at the tang and the other where the hilt meets the blade. This sword can be used for both melee and ranged purposes. This is a sword that works like a boomerang. 😋

I don't mean "Exotic Weapons as a separate weapon category" I more mean "The list" coming back.
oh, so like, more rare(/martial?) weapons? cool. though i got into dnd with 4e/5e, so i don't actually know what "the list" is. sounds menacing.
But they don't have Spiked Chain as it's own thing,
uh...yes it does? am i misunderstanding something?
Thinblades
that exists as a cultural weapon...unless thinblades used to work differently.
Whip-Daggers, Lightblades [...], Shotput, but also some IP Free Athasian weapons. Like the Alhulak and Gythka.
a whip-dagger sounds terrifying to train with/use. crack it wrong and you will PERISH. good thing this is fantasy. very neat.

Steampunkette

Supporter
oh, so like, more rare(/martial?) weapons? cool. though i got into dnd with 4e/5e, so i don't actually know what "the list" is. sounds menacing.
Yeah, pretty much. So the way weapon proficiency in 3e worked was you had Simple, Martial, and Exotic weapons. Fighters had proficiency with Simple and Martial weapons, but not with Exotic Weapons. You had to unlock specific exotic weapons through race or class abilities.

"The list" isn't, like, a specific or ominous thing. I just mean there's a separate list of Exotic weapons in 3e/3.5.
uh...yes it does? am i misunderstanding something?'
I'm looking over the A5e.tools list and not seeing a Spiked Chain... I'm not talking about a Kusari Gama or something like that. The spiked chain was far more ridiculous and impractical.

Chain_Spiked.png

that exists as a cultural weapon...unless thinblades used to work differently.
Ah! I'm thinking of the Elven Curveblade. Which is a Finessable two-handed sword dealing a d10 of damage. Seriously, though, 3e had some inventive stuff but three different "Elven (adjective) Blade" options was not an example of it...
a whip-dagger sounds terrifying to train with/use. crack it wrong and you will PERISH. good thing this is fantasy. very neat.
I KNOW, RIGHT?! Look at this monstrosity!

Whip-dagger.PNG

That gives me anxiety but also it's so cool...

In fairness, A5e has the "Nine Section Whip" which deals 1d6 damage... but yeah.

The Alhulak is similarly impractical. It's basically a grappling hook on a 10ft rope with a wooden handle at the other end. SUPER impractical, but super fun.

I'm looking over the A5e.tools list and not seeing a Spiked Chain... I'm not talking about a Kusari Gama or something like that. The spiked chain was far more ridiculous and impractical.

Chain_Spiked.png
weird, because it's right here in my copy of the AG...
spiked chain.png

Ah! I'm thinking of the Elven Curveblade. Which is a Finessable two-handed sword dealing a d10 of damage.
oh, so like a kriegsmesser or something. neat.

Remove ads