Level Up (A5E) Martial Artistry (3pp book in the works) Ideas and Concepts

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Special shoutout to @Timespike of Purple Martin Games for giving me approval to use cantrips from both MoAR and Spells from the Forgotten Vault for the Warcaster.

If you don't have either of these EXCELLENT titles, you'll get a preview of them through the cantrips in Martial Artistry, fully reprinted.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Okay...

Gunslinger: 6 pages
Sentinel: 15 pages
Warmage: 13 pages

34 pages of classes, their archetypes, companions, and spells.

That's almost half the length of Paranormal Power and doesn't touch on the combat traditions, heritages, cultures, combat synergies, firearms rebalance and new weaponry, archetypes for traditional classes, Esper archetype, or mass combat systems.

... And it also has -0- artwork for it, at this point. Lord knows that'll increase those 34 pages to something like 42.

So.... y'know. Should be interesting.

Steampunkette

Supporter
...or the champion...
Or the Champion. But I might leave the Champion out, right now. I've spent -so- much time on the othe three classes it feels frustrating.

But give me a couple of months and I'll probably go back to it.
Any idea on when the Kickstarter for Martial Artistry will be? :) Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
So far I have commissioned 5 pieces of art from 1 artist.

So... a long time. It's gonna need a lot of art before the Kickstarter begins if I'm going to release it when the kickstarter ends as a PDF.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Can't sleep. Have some of the weapon thoughts keeping me awake as I consider the weapons table for Martial Artistry.

Handgun: Weapon quality for one-handed firearms to shorten that phrase. Allows you to off-hand light weapons with the dual-wield property alongside the handgun but does not confer the dual-wield property to the handgun.

Handguns have very short ranges. Like 30ft or 50ft for their normal range, and a much longer long range. Like 30/200 or 50/300.

Recoil (Xft): Weapon quality for handguns that if you brace the gun with your off-hand the normal range of the handgun increases by Xft.

Dual-Wielding handguns do 1d6 each. Normal handguns do 1d8. Large caliber handguns do 1d10. Two-handed firearms start at 1d8 and go up to 1d12.

Stopping Power: Firearm-specific property that allows you apply -10ft movement speed to a creature. Crits do -20ft. Multiple hits don't increase the debuff. Probably just large-caliber weapons get this.

Gunslinger is not written to incorporate any of these functions, specifically. And can function with A5e Adventurer's Guide firearms or Martial Artistry firearms. They'll just do more damage with the AG guns than the MA guns.

Exotic weapons come back as martial weapons. Dual-Bladed swords, spiked chains, etc. Some of them give +1 to your combat maneuver DC with specific martial traditions.

Better Whips. I know they're not "Really" weapons. Who cares. It's a game. Bad guys should be able to use whips without hitting like a kitten-fart.

13th Age style weapon upgrades. Rogues with Finesse weapons have a damage-minimum of 1d6 and maximum of 1d8. So kick up weapons by 1 die size. Daggers deal d6s, short swords deal d8s. If a d10 finesse weapon exists it still deals 1d10 even in a Rogue's hands. Just an example.

Stopping Power: Firearm-specific property that allows you apply -10ft movement speed to a creature. Crits do -20ft. Multiple hits don't increase the debuff. Probably just large-caliber weapons get this.
i don't really like that it doesn't stack. it just doesn't seem to mesh so well with extra attack that way. but i guess if you let it stack then you could have an entire party completely negate an enemy's movement by laying into them with large-caliber firearms (even if you halved the speed penalties), so i get it.
Gunslinger is not written to incorporate any of these functions, specifically. And can function with A5e Adventurer's Guide firearms or Martial Artistry firearms. They'll just do more damage with the AG guns than the MA guns.
will the thundering bombard tradition incorporate any of the firearm properties? or will that also function normally with the AG firearms?
Exotic weapons come back as martial weapons. Dual-Bladed swords, spiked chains, etc. Some of them give +1 to your combat maneuver DC with specific martial traditions.
don't these already exist in a5e as rare weapons? or is this like firearms where you're intentionally redoing them and i'm just dumb?

don't these already exist in a5e as rare weapons? or is this like firearms where you're intentionally redoing them and i'm just dumb?
It sounds to me like she is planning to redo them. ;) Quite a number of double weapons from previous editions of D&D got lumped together (two-bladed swords, double axes, hooked hammers, swordspears) under the same title.

Remove ads