D&D 5E winter wolf pelt - how much should it cost and what does it do?

Mark1733

Explorer
Running a 3rd level adventure. I would like the winter wolf pelt to provide something special against cold, but not sure what would be OP and how much it would cost. Previous D&D versions had such an item providing a resistance of 5 against cold damage, but also made the wearer more vulnerable to fire-based attacks. I would like it to have an advantage against cold damage, without the downside. Depending on how that plays out, what would be a reasonable cost?

What about a polar bear pelt?

I also gave both advantage on stealth in tundra/snowy environments. Again, what would be a good price.

Mark

GreyLord

Legend
Facetious answer...

It's cursed. You put it on and suddenly, you become lupine. Your nose lengthens, you limbs change, and then...you become a Were-Winter-Wolf. You have all the advantages and all the disadvantages of said Winter Wolves in this form.

It is a curse, but now, you only turn human when there is a full moon out. Otherwise...

Join the pack...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It’s less versatile than an elven cloak but offers advantage on saves vs cold? I’d probably price it like an uncommon magic item. Something like 1d6x100 gp.

On it's own, it does nothing (but can be sold for 200gp, as per Baldur's Gate). I would allow it to be turned into a cloak of cold resistance. (Resist cold, requires attunement) or Boots of the Winterlands. This would require laboratory/workshop facilities and appropriate tool proficiencies unless one of the PCs is an artificer.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, I would value it around 100 gp if well collected prepared as a "nice cloak". As others have suggested, it could easily help function as cold winter clothing as per Rime of the Frostmaiden and provide advantage on CON saves vs. avoiding exhaustion for exposure to the cold. Since it is not a full suit of clothing, it should not provide auto-success like a full suit of cold winter clothing does.

According to XGtE, as a CR 3 creature a Winter Wolf pelt would only be a viable component for a Common magical item. If the rest of the enchantment process was completed, perhaps a magical function would be once per "day" it could proved resistance to one instance of cold damage, which would recharge at dawn each day or something.

Polar Bear might be worth 30-50 gp. It is larger, but a CR 2 creature, so not as powerful or feared.

J-H

Hero
Eh, go ahead and let it be turned into a Cloak of Cold Resistance. Players should get cool things.

My take is that items that do nothing but give resistance to a single element shouldn't require attunement.

aco175

Legend
I have no problems with a 3rd level PC getting a cloak of cold resistance. Cost should be appropriate for what they can afford and location of the PCs. If they bring the fur to someone cost should be about 100-200 depending on how large the town you are in. Is there something like taking the heart of the wolf and creating a magic weapon that deals (+1d6) cold damage? Using its eyes for googles of night? There should be some sort of limit though. I could see using the skin in a wand of the war mage item where it lets you add your attribute modifier to cold damage though.

I might even be generous in saying that the cloak does not count towards the 3 item attunement if they help create it. This may lead to other adventures with looking for other things like dragon skin or something though.

Remove ads