log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Fenris

Adventurer
"I think we are about to become the most talked about event in this town for the last 20 and next 20 years" quips Fergus.
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Steve Gorak

Explorer
"I think we are about to become the most talked about event in this town for the last 20 and next 20 years" quips Fergus.

Ethian, being the last of the procession, nods at the boys and the father when he passes them, and unsuccessfully tries to suppress a smile after Dalarian's telepathic repartee of Fergus' comment. Waith untill they notice me!. The summoned spirit in the form of an elk did have a sense of humor.

He takes his time to observe the town, and periodically closes his eyes, to see though his owl familiar's eyes, flying high above the town, to get a full picture of the area.
 


Shayuri

First Post
Talashia snorted and shook her head.

"Let them talk. It will take the bravest of this lot several days to work up the courage to try anything with us. If we pass on through, we'll have no trouble."
 

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Your owl familiar can get a good bird's eye view of the village [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] — you can refer to the original post for a map of Lower Posada. Even if you don't know the names of the buildings yet, the basic layout is clear: river north of the village, agriculture surrounding it in most directions, and a smaller burg to the east upriver.


At last the farmer's ears pick up, and he turns a bit as if listening to the clop-clop of the elk's hooves and the banter of the approaching party. The ox takes advantage of the farmer's distraction to come to a stubborn halt, stretching its jaws against the harness as it pants. The older boy goes over to pat its muzzle, keeping the ox between himself and your party as he watches you carefully. The younger boy can't help but stare wide-eyed at the witchers and sorceresses. It's clear the boys are cut from the same cloth as their father — lithe, dirty brown hair, crystal clear blue eyes like a mountain lake.

"Well, now you've done it. Ol' ox shall not be budging till we rest a spell," the farmer chides with tongue-in-cheek as he feels about his vest for his pipe and weed. It's only after he starts talking that you realize he's not looking at anyone particular. Indeed, the farmer is blind. "M' boy Thomwald here," he tousles the hair of his youngest son, blind fingers finding the boy by instinct, "says you're elves. A most noisome lot of elves then!" He chuckles, but there's an air of attentiveness in how he regards you, ears perking for sound of ambushers, his left hand resting on a cudgel stashed along the wagon's seat. "I'd have thought with the sorceress we had our fill of new folks, but there's a whole gaggle of you. What brings you to our humble lands?"
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Recap post

GM: So, the database crash eliminated about 3 months worth of play...

...during which you learned about the situation in Lower Posada from the blind farmer Leofort; apparently there is an entity named "Old Nan" who keep the elves from raiding or drawing too close to the village.

You arrived at the Inn of the Sojourn Plough in Lower Posada safely with Odvara, encountering the superstitious Henriette the innkeeper and the bumbling Guilhelm the husband and chef. You also were surprised to sup with the sorceress Margarita Laux-Antille who seems to have a vested interest in discovering whether Odvara is afflicted with the so-called "Curse of the Black Sun."

Once Odvara and the prestigious sorceress were off to bed, you went to investigate the ruined overgrown cottage known as Old Nan's House. You found the tree growing through the center roosted with ravens and the floor littered with caltrops covered by leaf litter. The tree was festooned with charms, and an old table was imbedded in the side of the tree, with a mortar and pestle resting on it that radiate abjuration and transmutation magic.

When Elora touched the mortar and pestle, she had a flashback to her time cursed as a hag and suddenly the night sky was lit by an orange-red pallor from a blood moon. And then from the river to the north came the retching sounds of drowners...
 
Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Paging [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] :) It's the players' turn in the initiative order.

Initiative
➔Players, go in any order you like
Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #1
Drowner #2 HP 18
Drowner #3 HP 18
Drowner #4 HP 18
Drowner #5 HP 18
Drowner #6 HP 18




Claws scrape along Fergus' shield as the drowner's tongue lashes out of its mouth reeking of fish guts, oozing fermented oils drippings down its black maw. To his left, the griffon witcher can make out two more drowners coming out of the pines illuminated a blood red in the strange light, some 25 feet away.

Black blood sprays from Kynee's silver sword as she sends one drowner's head rolling. This was what she was made for. Killing monsters. The coiling motion of her dodge sends the cat witcher weaving under the other drowners foul grasp. Even its minimal intelligence, twisted in undeath, realizes that Kynee is more of a threat that a common fisherman, and the drowner drops into a low stance, hissing at her.

After blowing out the side of the ruined cottage with a burst of thunder, Talashia managed to temporarily pin a drowner under the debris, but it has scrambled to its feet again, climbing over the crumbled moss-covered masonry with a hungry gleam in its black eyes. It begins to move inside the ruined cottage toward the sorceress.

Meanwhile, Elora's eyes flutter back to the moment, a sound of cackling in her ears and a crawling sensation of being watched along the back of her neck. The sudden light of the blood moon; this is the sort of dark magic she was warned about...

 
Last edited:


Quickleaf

Legend
GM:
Initiative
➔Players, go in any order you like
Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #1
Drowner #2 HP 18
Drowner #3 HP 18
Drowner #4 HP 18 8
Drowner #5 HP 18
Drowner #6 HP 18


 

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia, finding herself in a very bad spot, lifts her hands and begins speaking strange words. Immediately a great wind springs up around her, encasing her in a whirlwind of haze and dust that obscures her partly from view as it lifts her up and away...moving her from the drowner even as it is momentarily distracted by the debris hitting its face.

Even when the vortex calms though, there is a strange mist that shrouds the Source, making it hard to tell where she is in that immediate location. Her shape can be glimpsed within, but somehow there seem to be more than one of her, appearing, then fading back into the mist, then appearing again. Which are real?

(Casting Mirror Image! As a storm sorceror, this also lets Talashia fly 20' with no OA incurred. She moves to the square north of Elora for this, hoping the drowners will set themselves up for a Thunderwave.)
 

Quickleaf

Legend
GM:
Initiative
➔Players, go in any order you like
Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #1
Drowner #2 HP 18
Drowner #3 HP 18
Drowner #4 HP 18 8
Drowner #5 HP 18
Drowner #6 HP 18


 
Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
The silver sword of Fergus flashes pale red in the light of the moon. It was about to resemble the moon yet further after if finsihed send the drowner to his grave.

OOC: Attack Attack: 1d20+6 11
Use Combat Manuever Precision Attack Combat Man: 1d8 3 So 14 total
 


Axel

First Post
Kynee put her training and focus to use, ignoring the commotion and noises coming from the ruined cottage. Talashia can look after herself well, she will keep Elora safe... she thought as the second drowner ducked beneath her lunge (Attack v drowner: 1d20+4 10).
 

Quickleaf

Legend
The drowner struck by Elora’s silvery magical bolts lets out a gurgling yowl of pain as it scampers over the ruined wall, stone still coming loose from the masonry where Talashia’s magic blasted the side of the cottage to pieces. Silvery smoke trails from where the blast strick its torso even as it closes upon Talashia. However, the momentary whirlwind not only whirls the leaves around but also scatters several of the caltrops you’d painstakingly brushed aside earlier. Again, the piteous drowner wails as a caltrop impales its foot, stopping the undead creature dead in its tracks.

Black blood streaking from its fresh wound, the drowner facing Fergus bobs left and weaves right looking for an opening. However, its opportunity comes when another drowner approaching from the brewery to the northwest, this one slick with water, grasps the griffon witcher around the waist and shield arm in a grapple (DC 5) made weak by the water turning the drowner’s flesh slippery. Sometimes the dead do not let go gently of the living. Seeing its opening, the black-bleeding drowner slashes open the veins along Fergus’ sword arm with its iron-hard claws. (7 damage)

Another drowner, freshly slicked from the river, clambors over the ruins of the wall, its blackened eyes seeing Elora and Talashia as easier prey than the witchers. However it pauses at the threshold, scanning the interior of the ruined cottage with dim intelligence as if it senses some danger but can’t conceive it with any degree of specificity. The drowner clenches its claws, looking about, just waiting for an opportunity to grab a hapless victim (Ready - Grapple.)

The fell light of the unnatural blood red eclipse seems to lend the drowners strength. Dancing a deadly dance with Kynee, one that can only end in annihilation, the last of the drowners just barely evades her silver sword, locks of putrid black hair writhing as they fall to the earth. This one died more recently than the rest, and its reflexes have only grown faster in undeath. Whirling around Kynee’s guard, it gets lucky, raking a claw along her left shoulder (6 damage), sending blood running down the cat witcher's arm.



GM: Initiative
➔Players, go in any order you like
Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #1
Drowner #2 HP 18
Drowner #3 HP 18 ? [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] needs to roll for damage from last turn
Drowner #4 HP 18 magic missile 8 caltrops 7
Drowner #5 HP 18
Drowner #6 HP 18


GM: Dice Rolls
Drowner #4 Dexterity save (DC 15) vs. caltrops _: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9 failed, takes 1 damage and stops moving and speed -10.

Drowner #6 readies a Grapple against any PC moving adjacent to it. _: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

Drowner #3 attacks Fergus (AC 18) with advantage due to Pack Tactics _: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [16, 20]+4 = 24 Critical Hit! _: 2D4+2 = [4, 1]+2 = 7 Dealing 7 slashing damage.

Drowner #5 grapples Fergus with advantage due to Pack Tactics _: 2D20.HIGH(1)+1 = [1, 4]+1 = 5 [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] make a DC 5 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to resist.

Drowner #2 attacks Kynee (AC 15) _: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22 Hits! _: 1D4+2 = [4]+2 = 6 Dealing 6 slashing damage.


GM: Caltrops are scattered around the floor of the ruined cottage again...

Caltrops: Any creature that enters the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or stop moving this turn and take 1 piercing damage. Taking this damage reduces the creature’s walking speed by 10 feet until the creature regains at least 1 hit point. A creature moving through the area at half speed doesn’t need to make the save.
 
Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Kynee rolls to her right as the drowner slips under her guard, although the creature still draws blood (Parry: 1d8+3 4). Gritting her teeth she moves anti-clockwise, using her silver sword to keep the undead monster between her and the river (Attack roll: 1d20+2 8).
 

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Elora gave another little squeal as they were being stalked by not one but two fell creatures, trapped in the cottage by the caltrops on every side. It comforted her that Talashia was near yet she couldn't help but feel like a sword might be useful too.

"Go back to the foul pits from whence you came drowner!" Elora yells out, before calling on her own powers from deep within.

 



Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top