D&D 5E With the Holy Trinity out, let's take stock of 5E

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think what howandwhy is saying is the DM is supposed to make the rules up, using the books as guidelines, and that the game is the players figuring out the DMs personal rules by play.

In addition, the DM should take every possible action into account and create precise rules to meet the possible range of actions. So, the books don't say how to resolve jumping over a pit, but the DM should have created such rules ahead of time, rather than wing it on the spot. This winging it is, in this model, like moving your ship in Battleship, or "adjusting" the code in Mastermind. That is to say, adjudicating on the fly is cheating.

Haven't seen this view before, doesn't seem to match with Gygax or other early folks thought of the game.

pemerton

Legend
I think what howandwhy is saying is the DM is supposed to make the rules up, using the books as guidelines, and that the game is the players figuring out the DMs personal rules by play.

In addition, the DM should take every possible action into account and create precise rules to meet the possible range of actions. So, the books don't say how to resolve jumping over a pit, but the DM should have created such rules ahead of time, rather than wing it on the spot.
I think you're right - and also that you state it much more clearly than [MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION] does.

I have three general responses (to the position; not to you in particular). First, please show me an example. For instance, show me just one room write-up (say, for the frictionless corridor with super-tetanus pits in White Plume Mountain) that illustrates this approach actually being put to work.

Second, and following on from (1), I don't think a complete write-up along these lines is possible. This is because of the lack of a practical limit on action declarations by the players. You can have more abstract guidelines (eg item saves in AD&D, skill challenges in 4e) but these more abstract guidelines inevitably require the GM to engage in ad hoc adjudications around the fiction (eg when a cup is knocked off a table onto a flagstone fall, does that count as "fall", "normal blow" or "crushing blow", each of which gives a different chance to save).

Third, and following on from (2), I don't feel the force of the "supposed" - as in "the DM is supposed to". Partly because it's not practically possible. And partly because it turns the game away from a game of skillful dungeon exploration (which is what Gygax presents the game as) to a game of working out what baroque systems and subsystems the GM might be implementing (which is not at all what Gygax suggested the game is about).

doesn't seem to match with Gygax or other early folks thought of the game.
For me this is the biggest issue. D&D was never presented as a game of "guess the algorithm, with retries to make it easier over time". And I've never met anyone who plays it that way.

When the focus is on dungeon exploration (asis the case in the early D&D books, at least through Moldvay), the players aren't exploring or trying to learn the GM's resolution algorithms. They're exploring the dungeon that the GM drew up, and generally not by guess work but rather by delcaring actions that put their PCs into situations which oblige the GM to tell them true things about the dungeon (eg "We light a torch and look ahead" obliges the GM to tell the players the truth about what their PCs see of the dungeon, up to the limit of their torch light; "I expend a charge from my wand of secret door detection" obliges the GM to tell the player the truth about the existence of secret doors within a certain area of the dungeon; etc).
This is not very much like deciphering a code.

Last edited:

Fralex

Explorer
What are we doing right now? Trying to determine what qualifies something as a "game"? I think I can help with this! I have studied game design for a little more than two years so far; I'm sure at some point they taught us exactly what games are. Just gimme a second...

A game is an activity in which the participants umm... Wait, OK,
A game is a form of play, where "play" is defined as... doing stuff for pure enjoyment? Well, unless you're also getting paid, so maybe I should say
A game is an activity with a set of rules where players make choices no wait some are just gambling let me start over
A game is a competition argh, no, some are cooperative. I guess
A game involves interaction between people er, except for single-player games...
A game has a set of rules that the players follow by choice and... huh. OK I definitely remember it needing to be something you choose to do, with rules you have simply agreed to follow in order to become a player, but was there anything more specific... wait wait wait I think I got it
A game has a set of rules that players follow by choice with no external motivation except no, I already established you can get paid to play a game...
rrgh
uh
games
something
guh

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure all my professors agreed on what exactly a game was, especially when storytelling was involved. I don't really care whether D&D is a game or not. It's a fun thing. I do it. I definitely improvised when unexpected things happened. I see the DM as a part of the rules. Rulings are made by an advanced, organic, self-aware supercomputer. I don't know or care if this is the correct/"original" way to play the game. It's certainly the best way for me and my friends to play it!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It's the holiday season and this is getting tiresome. You don't understand, I understand. I've gone to great lengths to help you understand. If you have any further questions I will try and answer them, but let's go to PM and quit bloating this thread which is quite clearly not about the topics you've been asking about.
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], [MENTION=6680839]gauchi[/MENTION], [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION], I don't have the time at this point in the holiday to spend trying to help you understand. Especially when the intent is simply to demand "You're wrong", "This is not actual D&D" (it is), and "you can't actually do that anyways". It's time to be nice to each other. Parmandur gives a quality summary of the most recent material we've been discussing, but we have covered so much. Have a happy holidays and enjoy the rest of the thread.

pemerton

Legend
I don't have the time at this point in the holiday to spend trying to help you understand. Especially when the intent is simply to demand "You're wrong", "This is not actual D&D" (it is), and "you can't actually do that anyways".
Not all disagreement is a sign of misundertanding.

You are the one making assertions about what is actual D&D, which among other things involve asserting that Gygax and Moldvay got it wrong.

As for "you can't actually do that", I am still waiting for an example of a room description that meets your requirements. I have never encountered one - every room description that I've read for a D&D dungeon has permitted player action declarations that require new decisions to be made about how to resolve them. And this is not an accidental feature of the game. As [MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] pointed out, it's an inherent feature of the game - permissible player action declarations are not limited by rules, but only by what they can imagine as feasible for their PCs in the imagined situation.

Schmoe

Adventurer

In addition, the DM should take every possible action into account and create precise rules to meet the possible range of actions. So, the books don't say how to resolve jumping over a pit, but the DM should have created such rules ahead of time, rather than wing it on the spot. This winging it is, in this model, like moving your ship in Battleship, or "adjusting" the code in Mastermind. That is to say, adjudicating on the fly is cheating.

Haven't seen this view before, doesn't seem to match with Gygax or other early folks thought of the game.

A game like that is much more akin to something like Warhammer Quest - essentially a board game with a relatively narrowly defined set of admissable actions. New actions can be introduced, but if so they must be accompanied in advance by defined rules. In the case of Warhammer Quest, that would have been a 1d6 random table of possible outcomes. For example, in Warhammer Quest, you can't trip an opponent, because there are no rules for that.

It's one way to play a game, and I admit that I loved playing Warhammer Quest, but I'm skeptical about the assertion that this was the "one true D&D" of the early days.

aramis erak

Legend

A game like that is much more akin to something like Warhammer Quest - essentially a board game with a relatively narrowly defined set of admissable actions. New actions can be introduced, but if so they must be accompanied in advance by defined rules. In the case of Warhammer Quest, that would have been a 1d6 random table of possible outcomes. For example, in Warhammer Quest, you can't trip an opponent, because there are no rules for that.

It's one way to play a game, and I admit that I loved playing Warhammer Quest, but I'm skeptical about the assertion that this was the "one true D&D" of the early days.

Let's be honest: most people wound up deriving a home ruleset from AD&D 1E (rather than actually playing the rules of AD&D 1E) because of the combination of rambling/disorganization/stream-of-consciousness, erudite language, and conversational tone, not to mention the unpublicized addenda in later printings. Almost everyone missed something.

Of the 5 different DM's I played AD&D 1E under, each of them had simply flat out missed something different from the rest. I'd missed stuff as well. And discovered that different printings of the books have some added content in later editions.

Thank you. That's good to know. It sounds like Usenet did what the agenda-driven Forge failed to understand, that reference works are meant to report what people *believe* games to be. NOT what a single "Hallelujah! we found the truth!" one-true-way philosophy purports these "actually" are.

Frankly there is only one person in this conversation who seems to have a single "Hallelujah! we found the truth!" one-true-way philosophy. That isn't Ron Edwards, who was pushing back against the "Roleplaying not Roll Playing" advocated in the White Wolf rulebooks. It's your approach.

Skills, i.e. your discrete resolution mechanics, aren't part of D&D as the battle against GURPS in the 80s as not an RPG stands testament to.

First, as I've pointed out, the first part of this statement is untrue. Discrete resolution mechanics are all over the place in D&D. From the Thief Skills to the Strength "Bend Bars/Lift Gates %" to even a wide range of spells. "I cast Knock. The door opens." A resolution mechanic. Any claim that D&D doesn't have discrete resolution mechanics is simply, trivially false.

One single counter-example is enough to disprove your statement.

As for the D&D vs GURPS battle? I wasn't there. But if this battle really happened and people really were claiming that GURPS wasn't an RPG because it had unified rather than disjoint resolution mechanics? Guess what? You got squished like bugs even within the D&D community. Your arguments were marginal in the 1980s (and I'd point out that Traveller and Runequest also had resolution mechanics).

Again, D&D has no resolution mechanics of any kinds.

Repeating untruths doesn't make them more true. I've given resolution mechanics in D&D.

Again, they aren't rules. They are NEVER told to the players.

This again is completely false. Once D&D was published then players had access to the rules. Once a second person within the gaming group started to run games then at least some of the players had to know the rules. And Monte Haul DMs were a problem because it was expected you took characters from game to game each run under different DMs - so when one handed out too much loot that unbalanced everyone.

Gaming isn't an identity through negation. "We don't seek depiction or narrative design" is Edwards refusing yet again to actually talk about games as understood for centuries.

Indeed. Edwards is not talking about chess. Or whist. Or poker. Or football. Or billiards. Or polo. He is talking about tabletop role-playing games. A genre first published in 1974. Your objection about "games as understood for centuries" is like writing articles about the evolution of FPS computer games and not talking about Pong, Pac-Man, and Civilisation.

He simply refuses to treat them as a sphere of behavior and understanding we can live within.

That's because D&D was inspired by stepping outside the rules, as Arneson did in Braunstein.

- Do Not Trust anything in those articles to be forthright about games as historically understood.

Indeed. They do not cover games outside the Tabletop RPG genre. They are in part about what makes tabletop RPGs different from card games. Or team sports. They are useful about Tabletop RPGs but have no relevance to other forms of game.

Those articles are not the final word. They are a rejection in near entirety of everything that has been understood as games prior.

Except about Tabletop RPGs, yes. GNS grew out of the Usenet GDS (IMO a more useful system). And aren't really a rejection of it.

2. Games don't have themes.

Strictly false. Almost every single boardgame there has ever been has a theme. Or are you now claiming that Monopoly isn't a game? Because it certainly has themes.

If you don't know it, that's fine. It was word of mouth when I grew up in the 80's and the expected act of play by DMs and players.

You mean it is what your personal local playgroup thought. "Word of mouth" is just another way of saying "Local rumor". It was local urban myth. And myth passed on to you ten years later that is so far as I can tell in flat contradiction to the actual statements of people who were there back in the early 1970s when D&D was actually designed.

You were told things that were not in the rulebooks, and that contradict the rulebooks, and that contradict the history of the way D&D came to be. This is a thing that happens - especially as Gygax wasn't good at clarity in intended goals. And it leads to an interesting if idiosyncratic way of playing D&D. Which is fine - the game grows by people doing odd things with it (precisely because it isn't a traditional game).

But why you treat the word of mouth of your local gaming group as in a better position to know than Gygax, Arneson, Moldvay, Mentzer, and numerous others is beyond me.

Look at the context, the D&D faithful of course. Check your history.

Something you would do well to do. Forget what your friends told you in the 80s - and look at what actually happened in the 70s.

It's the holiday season and this is getting tiresome. You don't understand, I understand. I've gone to great lengths to help you understand.

What you haven't gone to great lengths to do, however, us check your assumptions and update them when they are shown to be wrong. Whenever a statement of yours is shown to be directly contrary to what happened you have doubled down rather than thinking that it means you don't know it all and would do better than to listen. You've gone to great lengths to convey your position, that I'll grant. It's just a position based on misunderstandings and misconceptions.

I have a player in my group who is a die-hard 4E fan, and it gets irritating to hear his criticisms which largely amount to ‘it’s not the same as 4E’ (regardless of context). The observation I make in his case is that a) he has limited experience of playing anything other than D&D4E, and b) he’s invested so much in the 4E line that it’s hard to let it go. From my experience, the acceptance of 5E may take some time….but in terms of my preference and enthusiasm it’s been the best thing to happen to D&D for a long, long time.

Am I the only 4e fan darkly amused by this and the years spent saying "That's not what the 4e rules say. Here are page references."?

Am I the only 4e fan darkly amused by this and the years spent saying "That's not what the 4e rules say. Here are page references."?
I’ve no idea. To be honest, I’m not really sure what point you are making. I’ve read the 4E rules and played the game. I found it lacking for all sorts of reasons that have been catalogued verbatim on many sites. But that is the past and the D&D game has moved on. It would be nice to think the community will move on with it, but one can only hope.

aramis erak

Legend
I’ve no idea. To be honest, I’m not really sure what point you are making. I’ve read the 4E rules and played the game. I found it lacking for all sorts of reasons that have been catalogued verbatim on many sites. But that is the past and the D&D game has moved on. It would be nice to think the community will move on with it, but one can only hope.

no matter how good Edition X is, some will always stick to edition (X-1)... The generally abysmal Traveller 4th Ed has its fans. Same with the bad editions of Boot Hill and Gamma World, or even board games, like SFB and Warhammer.

The best case for a new edition is to recapture a large portion of prior edition surviving fans and add new ones. 5E seems to appeal to a wider range of former edition fans than 4E, so it should capture more of them.

Remove ads