D&D 5E Wizard 18: Spell Mastery

Rub

First Post
Sorry to resurrect this discussion but I had 1 question and 1 suggestion. First, would it be possible to take two 1st level spells instead of one 1st level and one 2nd level spells with Spell Mastery? If so then taking Shield and Absorb Elements could be a possibility.

If not, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Shatter as a good 2nd level spell to take with Spell Mastery. First it is an area effect spell so even if some creatures make their saves, you are at least doing half of 3d8 Thunder damage to possibly OVER A DOZEN mooks! But it can also be used out of combat to fell entire forests or bring down buildings or dungeon walls. Just my 2 cents.

BacchusNL

Explorer
I'd be hard pressed not to go with the cookie-cutter option of Shield and Misty Step, although I have to give a special mention to Shadow Blade for Bladesinger's. Still probably not the most optimal choice, but defiantly points for the cool-factor.

lyracian

Villager
I like the idea of being able to recast Mirror Image all the time so you (almost) always have 3 images. It is also fun that you can change your spells so if you wanted to be Invisible all day or cast Absorb Elements rather than Shield you can easily change.

Misty Step every turn to double your movement rate is also amusing.

jgsugden

Legend
Other spells to consider:

Charm Person is not concentration, so you can pile these up. Great for school of enchantment.

Unseen Servant is not concentration either, so these can also be piled up. It is a bit like having an army of obedient toddlers at hand... you could perform an amazing amoun of work over a day with hundreds of unseen servants at work.

Blindness is a good non-concetration spam spell.

You might ask a DM what happens when you cast Mirror Image with extra images up. Even if it just replenishes you back to three, it is a good "up all the time" spell.

Scorching ray only does 6d6 (average 21) which is less than 4d12 (average 26) cantrips like Toll the Bell, but it can be split up and used to set multiple fires, target multipl enemies, do three attacks on a down enemy to finish it off, etc....

Finally, suggestion, with the long duration and non-combat uses, can be useful to have. Sending someone off on a 5 minute suggestion and then using it on someone else can get you through a lot of social encounter situations. The PHB indicates that targets of a spell do not realize a spell has been cast on them unless there is a physical sign or impact... many that yu suggest may not understand why they followed your suggestion unless the DM decides that they do.... so this may have different value based upon your DM's call. Very interesting for an Enchanter as you get two targets for the price of one.

Finally: Consider designing your own wizard spell. If you have the time, there are a lot of ideas from prior editions that are worth converting, and we can come up with a lot of ideas that have never been reduced to text at all. For example, I've created a 'Deflection' spell that is 5th level and allows me to counter a spell just like counterspell, or, alternatively, change the target to an eligible target had I been in the position of the caster and cast the spell. (There is more to it, but that is the general idea). This is something we do not see in D&D - I took the idea from a magic card. That would be too high level, but I also invented Rocket which allows me to 'rocket' from one place to another in a straight line of movement at a range up to 120' in a straight line as a second level spell bonus action... farther than Misty Step, but it is not a teleport.

Xeviat

Hero
On the level 20 test Wizard I built for reasons, I went with Shield and Mirror Image because I'm paranoid, but I like Misty Step too!

Remove ads