D&D 5E Wizard 18: Spell Mastery

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Level 1 -- I agree with the many who have said Shield, though my second choice would be Expeditious retreat, which I think gives much better maneuverability than long strider and (most of the time) Misty Step.
Level 2 -- Alter Self. Actually changes your appearance (transmutation, not illusion) and while it is dependent on concentration, lets you constantly shift your appearance and gives you an aquatic form (and the natural weapons for you'll never use). As an alternate, if the character is still functionally adventuring, I'd consider Pass without Trace, which benefits the whole party.

Last edited:

ugh. Serves me right for posting without checking at night. my bad.

I agree though that Pass Without Trace is awesomesauce! One reason I love Shadow Monks is that not only do they cast PWT at third level, but they typically have nothing better to do with their concentration anyway so they can just leave it up for hours at a time with no concentration opportunity cost and very little ki cost. In a party with two full spellcasters, a 3/4 spellcaster, and a warrior, I'd want a Shadow Monk as my warrior for just that reason.

Ashrym

Legend
Shield and Misty Step are my typical preference. Absorb Elements from Elemental Evil is a good alternative to Shield for similar reasons. Arcane Lock can be fun if a person doesn't mind the material cost.

Incidentally, we need a PHB reprint which mentions the class(es) under each spell description.

Might get messy what with cleric domain spells, paladin oaths, and warlock traditions. "Misty Step: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, Paladins of Vengeance." I assume that's why they left that off. I don't necessarily agree with that decision, but I think that's where they were coming from. Meanwhile I just use http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com.

jgsugden

Legend
Shield is the winner to most, Misty Step adds a lot of value, Invisibility makes a lot of sense...

At that level you have enough spell slots to cast a spell in just about every round of combat between long rests (generally). As such, I would not favor any combat spell that takes an action unless it is something you might want to cast a lot outside of combat, like invisibility, that isn't a ritual.

Remove ads