Wizard build

Humanaut

First Post
Hey all, this summer i will be running a wizard-type through, oh shoot, is it Expedition to Castle Ravenloft? The new one... anywho, i'm familiar with the original in the last edition, but never looked the new Ravenloft. Any ideas for a build that will be fun and survivable... we'll be gaming only for 7 days (straight, we're all on vacation together: GeekFest we call it). So planning til level 20 is not what i'm looking at.

We have 7 levels to work with, the only books we can use are Core, and the first 4 Compete books. That's it. DM is new to 3.5 and wants it simple. We may gain a few levels i'm thinking there is no way i'll hit 14th by the end of the week. The DM last GF gave us a level up the beginning of each day we were there, cuz it's only 1 week. Oh, and he has already nixed LM book so nothing from there either. :(

We will have 4 other players who will fill various rolls: one a Cleric/ RSoP, a githzeri Monk, a halfogre Meat Shield, and an undecided guy (who we all hope does something rogueish even though there's lots of undead to not get sneak attack against).

I have thought of Warlock instead of Wizard, pump up UMD and carry a boatload of useful wands, then blast everything in sight.

Any and all advice and ideas are welcome... and i got months to scheme... heh heh heh...

thanks

Darklone

First 4 Complete books include Complete Arcane, Warrior, Divine and Adventurer, right?

Go warlock. You won't do too much damage compared to the half-ogre meatshield, but you won't have too many survivability problems if you get a decent CON and Imp Toughness. Light armor, wear a shield. Get wands of invisibility, spider climb, rope trick... the githzerai monk will love you for a wand of mage armor (if he can't get that psionically).

Humanaut

First Post
You're right about the Complete books, although the githzerai will be the revised psionic version from the EPH.

I like the Warlock idea, and Impr. Tough is great, but i'm thinking feats of (human): PBshot, Precise shot, then??? (focus:blast or impr init or skill focus:Conc), at 6th level: extra invoc (eldritch spear). If i took Ftr1/War6 then i could get IT and the others due to bonus feat, but then i'm down Warlock pwr.

Inovc: See the Unseen, Fell Flight... i like the constant mobility and seeing invisible and DKvision...

Wands i'm liking now are: alter self (for Trog form), shield, enlarge person (for fighters), i could afford 3 wands with 2nd lvl spells: maybe liking web, knock, false life. Invisibility sounds good but i'm worried about usefulness with lots of undead, though i like your suggestions too. I'd like to have available useful arcane spells and blast stuff whenever i want.

With only a week to foil/ destroy Strahd i like always having powers going. But a Wizard (Evoker) is the other idea i had. Giving up Ill/Ench spells...

Remove ads