• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Diviner RP and Backstory help

Hello!

Im running my first wizard (ever) and having trouble with my character's backstory. Here is what i got, comments, recommendations, and general vivisection is welcome and indeed what i am asking for. Pretty please?

Before I go into the things about her that I like and am aiming to keep I need to go into the custom setting. My DM is building a world more based on Norse mythology so "good and evil" are fairly diminished compared to Order and chaos. They still exist but both much more like our own worlds concepts of good and evil more then immutable forces of nature and the idea is to flip the normal focus. No bands of "Asll good adventurers who have vastly different perspectives on order vs chaos!" Lawful evil and lawful good characters have more in common and are on the same side more then say chaotic good and lawful good. Neutral characters are more separated by race with Neutral humans and dwarves still largely being on the lawful side, and say neutral elves still being on the chaotic side. Half-elves and half-orcs have their own city and territory; technically neutral but more likely to side with the dwarves, humans, half lings, etc.

Magic is interesting. For most races it's still passed down master to apprentice but humans have their own College, as part of the human god Woad's temple; Hlidskjalf. Woad (based on Odin in his younger days. So less wise and king like and more raw and mighty) has more wizards following him then priests,

Sigrunn is a 21 year old wizard fairly fresh from her final exam. Most of the schools have more traditional final exams in line with what you'd expect; but the school of divination has a very peculiar exam. Because of that, most Wizards chose something more flashy and far less risky. Per legend, the first divination spells (and many other spells) were discovered by Woad himself; after he hung from the world tree for 9 days. The runes are still a powerful tool in divination and have also spread into the other schools; as such Diviners must complete the same ritual. It is a simple test that is pass or fail; They must also hang from a sacred tree for 9 minutes (average time it takes is 6 minutes); as Woad was before them; a sacrifice to Woad for knowledge. The art is more a calling then a science; so most Diviners embrace the risk. Their final class is a quiet and pious time, reflecting on the very real possibility that they are soon going to die.

Those who fail are said to serve Woad in the after life and those who pass soon awaken their own powers of divination. All Diviners have tasted the hangman's noose, priests of Woad believe that these individuals have passed divine judgement and have Woad's favor, and these humans have in turn gained favor in a variety of positions.

My aim for Sigrunn is to be a surprisingly dark optimist. While she indulges in dark magic and has suffered (likely greatly) she embraces life to the fullest. She enjoys the fruit of life and is an inherently good character. I've rolled on Xan's tables and found some interesting life event posibilities (did not like the back story I rolled; I think I'm going with orphan instead.) that I've crafted.

My background that I rolled... im having trouble with. Thi is what ive ran with. While wandering through the forest looking for food; a great storm whips up. Sigrunn is chased into what looks to be a cave and it is in fact an abandoned shrine to Woad. Sitting on a pedestal is a magic orb (her focus). It lights up on its own and gives her comfort in the ancient ruin. Her first experience with real magic she finds herself very drawn to it and makes her way to Hlidskjalf on her own.

other details- For her background I rolled a Sage (Astronomer). I aim to have her compliment the sorcerer (blast and buff) with some necromancy, a bit of her own blast, and debuffs. I want her to be a bit more of a witch then the average mage. Still incredibly book smart but possessed of a magic that borders on the divine.

Character art ive been using as inspiration (Going to commission some custom stuff for her down the line.)

A robe like this- https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7a/3a/3a/7a3a3a7928e41a0aa3cd0ed00cd79b8b.jpg
ANd this-
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/69/2a/97/692a979966aeb5643c2d4cf9532e71c8.jpg

Her Orb- https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6b/ae/64/6bae647df87b8835c4b23d11736dbc14.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads