Wizard Spellcasting vs. Clerical Spellcasting...which is better?

Numion

First Post
Al said:
Now the drawback is thus: you've burnt 2 5th level slots, a 6th level slot, three 7th level slots, five 8th level slots and two 9th level slots...and all of your buffs can be taken out with a simple Greater Dispel Magic (one 6th level slot). In a pure hackfest with no magic-using opponents, the autobuffed melee cleric is more than viable- against strategic magic-using opponents, he is less effective to the party than a spellcasting cleric.

Consider it from another angle: in the environment (high-magic, strategic mages, etc) you described, a straight fighter is in big trouble with his lower saves and inability to cast spells.

Victim

First Post
Actually, there's a middle ground between Solo Cleric Jerk, and team healer/buffer. The burden of being the healing and buffing guy depends on how many people need to be buffed and healed. So if there's a large number of clerics in the group, proportionally, then each cleric can just contribute a little bit to the group and have plenty of self boosting spells. The effect on the group will be the same as one cleric devoting almost all his spells to the group. However, the clerics can all be tough guys. One cleric in a small group works much the same way - I noticed a tremendous difference in the performance of my cleric when the group was 2 arcane casters and a fighter compared to when there were 2 or 3 additional fighting types.

Majere

First Post
Non of our clerics are "autobuff jerks"
Teh last module we did had the following party:
Wizard 16
rogue4/sorcerer4/shadowdancer3
Fighter 13
Cleric /presitigeclass of broke 17
Cleric 11

The mini modulce consisted of 7 CR 16-20 combats. We had 0 deaths (Just) and a bout half our spells left at the end of the day.

I often compare these to the people who have clerics-of-broken some level or other who strut their 2 ACL-per-day combats before they have to teleport home and rest campeigns. Clerics/druids/mages can beat a fighter all day long if they have their best spells, but in a more taxing campeign they dont half look like dorks when their spells are all burnt out.

Remove ads