• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizarding help

Cirripedius

First Post
First of all, I cannot find where I am supposed to seek answer for questions such as this but I will just throw it out here.

So I am about to role my first wizard and my plan is to make him a party buffer. I am vaguely sure of what I want as far as spells and I think I'm going to specialize in transmutation. I was going to do the War Weaver Prestige Class but it requires that I touch everybody in my party to buff them with my touch spells still (which seems to defeat the entire point of the PrC). Any suggestions on how to either make the War Weaver work or on what other PrCs I should look at?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I like the Transmutation Focus Caster variant (costs the familiar). It lets you cast any targeted transmutation spell at one additional target (does not apply to spells with a range of personal/self only). Excellent for buffs, in many cases cutting the buff time in half, and getting +1 target for disintigrate isn't too shabby, either.

It's in one of the dragon magazines, I found it on the crystalkeep database.

Cirripedius

First Post
I like the Transmutation Focus Caster variant (costs the familiar). It lets you cast any targeted transmutation spell at one additional target (does not apply to spells with a range of personal/self only). Excellent for buffs, in many cases cutting the buff time in half, and getting +1 target for disintigrate isn't too shabby, either.

It's in one of the dragon magazines, I found it on the crystalkeep database.

But that is the point of the War Weaver PrC. It lets you take a buff like Cat's Grace and rather than give it to a single target gives it to the entire party within casting range. According to what I'm reading, for touch spells, like Cat's Grace, I would have to move around the battlefield and touch all my allies who need it. This is troublesome because of possibly taking AoO

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Focus Caster gives you the benefit right from level 1. Maybe you're starting at high level and that's not important to you, I think it's a great boon to not have to wait.

And sorry, I'm completely unfamiliar with War Weaver other than hearing of it, I don't know if it does anything to improve the range of touch spells. There is a metamagic feat to turn a melee touch spell into a ranged touch spell for +2 spell levels, that may actually be worthwhile to you to zap the entire party with a touch spell from safety. As for rolling to hit...if your DM's super nice, maybe he'll let it auto-hit like a beneficial melee touch spell. Myself, I'd require you to roll and get anything other than a 1.

Volcarthe

First Post
a good "buff" wizard can do just as well purely generalist, as there are some interesting spells all over the board.

aside from that, you may want to look at Spellwarp Sniper prc for more reach.

Remove ads