• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards In Winter - High-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
No one saw the nondescript man (did someone call him "Dox" once? Hard to say.) in the initial chaos. But just before the ship was to run aground, there was an indistinct blur running straight down the length of the ship—twirling over coils of rope, sliding under swinging ship-irons—until right at the moment of impact he was airborne, diving for the ground below. He seemed almost to hang in the air...
OOC: Using a combination of parkour and his ability to fall great distances w/o taking damage in a very Acrobatics style of move (as opposed to raw jumping, which would be Athletics). Assuming that is kosher... Acrobatics 29
[sblock=To visualize]Like this, except jumping away from a ship...
MassEffect2-End.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tarkus clambers to his feet and braces himself with one hand on the mast. With the other he draws a complex ruin into the air. Where his finger passes, glowing silver lines remain - the symbol rises into the air and expands to form a protective barrier over the ship.

"Have faith!" Tarkus yells. "Faith will protect us!" He remains standing straight and tall, legs apart to keep his balance, pointing one outspread hand into the sky to maintain the barrier as the deck begins to slope precipitously beneath his feet. He never flinches as the ship reaches the crest of a wave and he begins to ride it down, down towards the rocks below...

[sblock=OOC]
Minor: cast Rune of Mending, using the Rune of Protection rider. (That will heal me, and give all allies within 5 squares a +1 to all defenses until the end of my next turn. If the map is still accurate, that covers the whole party, and presumably a bunch of the crew.)

That might even have an effect if the crash causes Fort or Reflex attacks, but mainly it's for flavour - I have a power called Rune of Protection an using it to protect as many people as possible seems like the in-character thing to do.

(I also spend a healing surge and regain 11+8=19 hp.)

Can I roll Religion (+8) as my action to survive the crash, since I'm using a prayer?

If not, can I make another action as well, since Rune of Protection is a minor action?
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Martelai, standing close to the prow of the ship, frowns as he's want to do when thinking. He runs forward toward the very tip of the ship and grabs the railing, looking out toward the shore.

As the ship closes in his form blurs and becomes transparent, while his shadow self appears on the shore.

In few moments, just as the sound of the ship grating on the bottom starts, he blinks out of the world, appearing at the very edge of the water where his shadow stood and blinks again aside as the ship keeps coming in.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: O5
Minor: Mirror Darkly as close to the shore as possible and 5 squares aside
Standard: Ready action: as soon as Mirror Darkly triggers his teleport, he teleport again vial Ethereal Step, gaining additional 3 squares of distance.

If the skill roll is absolutely necessary:
Streetwise (1d20+12=20) - explanation: Martelai's time on Bacarte docks gives him fair idea of when the ship is stopping, crashing, i.e. gives him the feeling for the exact moment to act.
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa is out of contact until Jan 31st. I'll take the action for him if DM allows it

Earth moves ponderously, standing by Tarkus and Brenwar and bracing himself for the impact.
"Squeeshy man, come behind. Earth protects you."

Endurance (1d20+14 =21)

Cyr moves closer and stands behind Earth, holding himself on the beast and supporting with his staff. His recollection of few times he was shipwrecked in his lives don't offer anything useful on how he could survive this. (Nat 1)

History (1d20+14=15)

OOC: Earth has shield which grants DR 10 to him and adjacent ally. But it's a daily and I'm reluctant to use it since he's not here...it would fit the situation. But of course, Earth doesn't have to fear drowning, just battering.

Rapida

First Post
Brenwar still glowing with the radiant light from moments before stands by Tarkus. Brenwar places a hand over his holy symbol and prays, "Palladys in your wisdom please protect your servant and his allies, lend us your aegis in our time of need." He braces against the mast as the ship goes toward the rocks.
OOC:
The protective aura from radiant stride is about to blink off, but figured I'd mention it. I'm hoping that Palladys has a moment to listen to an almost paragon tier paladin so I'm going with a religion roll.

Darksteed

First Post
*Kauldron sighs and watches the ship rush towards the shoreline. Still dripping wet from his nice cold refreshing dip in the water.*

Damn I need a smoke.

*He reaches into his cigar box that lay strapped to his leg. Pulling out a fresh cigar. He snaps his fingers together and a burst of flame rolls across his finger tips. He lights his cigar and puffs away. With a relaxed sigh, waving off the flame upon his fingers.*

Guess things could be worse.

*He grinned and chuckled to himself as he slung his shield back upon his back. The small ironclad goblin was quick even in his heavy suit of plate. He dashed across the deck of the ship as it ran aground. Leaping over people and debris alike. He used the ropes of the toppling mast to swing himself to safety, along with quick climbs, dashes and various leaps out of harms way.*

[sblock=Skill]Atheltics; 32 [/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=Results]No one saw the nondescript man (did someone call him "Dox" once? Hard to say.) in the initial chaos. But just before the ship was to run aground, there was an indistinct blur running straight down the length of the ship—twirling over coils of rope, sliding under swinging ship-irons—until right at the moment of impact he was airborne, diving for the ground below. He seemed almost to hang in the air...

Acrobatics 29 (SUCCESS)

"Have faith!" Tarkus yells. "Faith will protect us!" He remains standing straight and tall, legs apart to keep his balance, pointing one outspread hand into the sky to maintain the barrier as the deck begins to slope precipitously beneath his feet. He never flinches as the ship reaches the crest of a wave and he begins to ride it down, down towards the rocks below...

Religion (1d20+8=18) (SUCCESS)

Martelai, standing close to the prow of the ship, frowns as he's want to do when thinking. He runs forward toward the very tip of the ship and grabs the railing, looking out toward the shore.

As the ship closes in his form blurs and becomes transparent, while his shadow self appears on the shore.

In few moments, just as the sound of the ship grating on the bottom starts, he blinks out of the world, appearing at the very edge of the water where his shadow stood and blinks again aside as the ship keeps coming in.

Streetwise 20 (SUCCESS)

Earth moves ponderously, standing by Tarkus and Brenwar and bracing himself for the impact.
"Squeeshy man, come behind. Earth protects you."

Endurance 21 (SUCCESS)

Cyr moves closer and stands behind Earth, holding himself on the beast and supporting with his staff. His recollection of few times he was shipwrecked in his lives don't offer anything useful on how he could survive this. (Nat 1)

History 15 (FAILURE - BY ONE!)

Brenwar still glowing with the radiant light from moments before stands by Tarkus. Brenwar places a hand over his holy symbol and prays,

"Palladys in your wisdom please protect your servant and his allies, lend us your aegis in our time of need." He braces against the mast as the ship goes toward the rocks.

Religion 23 (SUCCESS)

*Kauldron sighs and watches the ship rush towards the shoreline. Still dripping wet from his nice cold refreshing dip in the water.*

Damn I need a smoke.

*He reaches into his cigar box that lay strapped to his leg. Pulling out a fresh cigar. He snaps his fingers together and a burst of flame rolls across his finger tips. He lights his cigar and puffs away. With a relaxed sigh, waving off the flame upon his fingers.*

Guess things could be worse.

*He grinned and chuckled to himself as he slung his shield back upon his back. The small ironclad goblin was quick even in his heavy suit of

plate. He dashed across the deck of the ship as it ran aground. Leaping over people and debris alike. He used the ropes of the toppling mast to swing himself to safety, along with quick climbs, dashes and various leaps out of harms way.*

Athletics 32 (SUCCESS)

GM: Unless anyone has a way of increasing Cyr's History check by 1 with an out of turn action, he'll take damage equal to his surge value
when he hits the rocks.
[/sblock]

The ship hits the ice about twenty feet from the shore with a sickening crunch. Splinters of wood are thrown into the air as are some of the crew and yourselves. You manage to swim over to the sheet of ice where you finally have a moment to catch your breath. Adrenaline keeps you from feeling the cold, or your wounds. Moments later, the rest of the crew emerges from the man-sized hole in the ship carrying blankets to keep everyone warm.

Fittingly, the captain is the last to leave his ship. He carries a whaling harpoon in his hand.

"It's a shame that things haven't gone so smoothly for you... or us either. I wish I could have done more during the battle, but I did have my ship to look after. It seems like this thing isn't going to do anyone a bit of good if I keep it locked up... You ever been whaling? Well, neither have I. This isn't actually a whaling harpoon. It was used for hunting sea drakes. It helped us pull them from the sky. I think it's something that could prove to be more valuable to you than me. I still have the memories."

Aramais hands over the spear.

GM: Treasure: Skyrender Javelin +2

"Aramais then looks at the hole in his ship. Don't you worry about that. I'll get to work on fixing it when you do your job on that island. .. But perhaps I could convince you to have some lunch. A bit of Ambrose's stew will warm you right up."

He then looks over at the abishai carcass floating nearby.

"Henri have some boys take that thing to Ambrose, see what he can whip up with it."

The crew looks mortified at the thought of eating such a creature.

"We aren't gonna eat it! Honestly. they think I'm going to get them killed for some reason. No sense of adventure. See Ambrose isn't just the cook, he's an alchemist. I figure that beast was so charged with thunder and lightning that he might be able to make something out of it."

"So what do you say, lunch sound good?"

GM: Feel free to rest.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Ah. That was tense."

The warlock comes out a bit damp, but otherwise unharmed.
"I would enjoy launch, yes, and I'll help Ambrose, too. I have some experience with using creatures parts." he motions to his bug-like armor.

He offers his fortune casting and when the paladin approaches he quickly draws few diagrams in the sand. Small circle with three pronged star he draws last in the middle and correlates few points to it.

"Brenwar, your next endeavor will have a peak, it will start slow, but with one noticeable success before returning to your normal routine."

OOC: Cast Fortune taken

Last edited:

Rapida

First Post
Brenwar looks a bit worse for wear after the fight on the ship, but comes through the crash miraculously unscathed.
"Tarkus, if we are going to stop for lunch do we have time for you to replenish your prayers? It might keep us going a bit longer today."

When Marteli offers to predict someone's future, Brenwar volunteers, "Let us see what fate has in store for me. Hopefully it isn't all bad."
OOC:
Assuming we have time for multiple short rests perhaps Tarkus can heal us to save on surges.
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] I'll predict my luck.
Cast Fortune (1d20=4, 1d20=18, 1d20=7)
Well, it could be worse.

[sblock=Stats]
Brenwar – Male Human Paladin 8
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Brenwar_Holyshield_(Rapida)

Initiative: +3, Speed: 5 Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 25

AC: 26 Fort: 19, Reflex: 19, Will: 22, Resist: 1/all, 5/fire

HP: 32/71, Bloodied: 35 , Surge Value: 18, Surges Left: 11/13

Action Points: 1

Feats of Note:

Whenever Brenwar spends a healing surge, he gains 4 resistance to all damage until the start of his next turn.

OA Basic Melee Attack: +12 Virtuous Strike (Vanguard's Hammer) 1d10+6 Damage

Powers At-Will Powers:Divine Challenge, Ardent Strike, Virtuous Strike, Lay on Hands (3/4 Remaining)

Encounter Powers: Valorous Smite, Righteous Smite, Virtue, Channel Divinity, Deliverance of Faith, Heroic Effort, Divine Reverence, Shield of Devotion, Radiant Stride, Second Wind

Daily Powers: Majestic Halo, Hallowed Circle, Healing Word
[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: Yes, you have time for as many short rests as you reasonably need. It's only extended rests that are limited if you want to earn the Major Quest XP.

Remove ads