Wizards, Metamagic, item Creation -- too few feats to get them??

Do wizards gain too few feats to buy what is out there for them?

• Yeah, they gain a short amount!!!

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • No, they get what they need.

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • Hey, i already thought about it and made some changes...

Votes: 4 4.5%

Ran

First Post
Well, it bothers me a lot how few feats wizards have and how they have been releasing thousands of metamagic, does it bothers anyone else here??

And by the way, how are you dealing with it?

In our campaign we gave wizards feats every four levels and one at 1st, instead of 1 every 5 levels... it gives more options and you feel more powerfull...

Last edited:

maddman75

First Post
Basically, your wizard can't do everything. He can be a magic item machine, but that leaves metamagic behind. He can specialize in a type of metamagic, but will never get them all.

This is a good thing - it allows for a wide variety of wizard types.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I thinks its fine. Wizards are poweful with out metamagic feats. Most wizards specialize, like fighters. You are either the dex fighter or the Str fighter. With Wizards you either are the magic enhancer or the item creator. I have never heard a complaint from any wizard PC about feats.

Also when I make wizard NPC's I seem to have more than enough feats for what I need. Maybe I don't make interesting enough wizards :confused:

Oni

First Post
Hey, if wizards don't get enough, where does that leave sorcerers? Aren't they supposed to be the kings of metamagic?

No, I think wizards are fine.

Ran

First Post
Well, we don't make it so that you get more of both, just that you get more of one, we see tons of metamagic feats around, many very very interesting. We have seen many a wizard spend all feats (including the every 3 levels) on metamagic, spell mastery and so on, we gave the wizard 2 feats more, what make it for an energy substitution, or eschew materials, but not at the beggining, start with one more and gain at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th...

I don't think it comparises to the fighter 'cause fighter have very long chains of feats, while wizards don't...

Ran

First Post
Oni said:
Hey, if wizards don't get enough, where does that leave sorcerers? Aren't they supposed to be the kings of metamagic?

No, I think wizards are fine.

I don't think so, naturals don't have the study related to it... of course you could say that nbaturals don't have the barries of studies...

Anyway, we give sorcerers a d6 for HP and feats every 5 levels...

They are fine as is. If you want them to be more powerful then house rule it or bring in artifactors whom study build just because they can. It seems more realistic to me that they can't get bonuses of metamagic in every catagory. Especially when these catagories get placed onto one spell at once- instantaious fireballs suck. No verbal, no somantic, max damage and increased range could fry many parties before they even know there was a threat.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think everyone needs more feats. Feats are the customizaiton supreme thingof 3e character design and i never have enough. My proposed soultion is the everquest rpg system. Ig give people 5 building points per level, and they can purchase feats, stat boosts, skills with them(they still get normal skill allotment but no feats or att oosts at every 3 and 5 levels) It'S 7 points for a feat, and 7 points for an attribute(attribute cap at+6 to a stat) If you want to foucs on feats this way you can get more than the standard.(which i like)

Seule

Explorer
I play a 20th level wizard. Of course I'd love to have more metamagic feats (I have no item creation), but it would be unbalanced. Wizards are fine as is.

--Seule

Ran

First Post
Seule said:
I play a 20th level wizard. Of course I'd love to have more metamagic feats (I have no item creation), but it would be unbalanced. Wizards are fine as is.

--Seule

Hm, we don't have played farther than 13th level, but it really seems that wizards are much less powerfull than they were before -- of course they were too powerfull before -- spells don't scale up the same way the rogue's sneak attack, and the fighter's damage/round...

it starts that rogues almost have a fireball on flanking... and fighters deal much more damage...

Man, they have no slots!!

Last edited:

Remove ads