D&D 5E Wizard's new spells

Or you can say that if they aren't in the PHB then they don't exist. If they split the basic classes abd races up into separate books like they did in 4e then they are fools who don't want people like me buying their products.

I'm not going to buy four players hand books and three dungeon master's guides and a dozen other books except maybe an additional monster manual or two,( although I should be able to make the monsters I already have conform to the monster rules for next).

As for this packet's rules on spells, well I guess they'll need to come up with something else since this version isn't going to fly.
completely different thing.

It is just, that for normal play, it is very impractical, that a cleric gets every spell ever created, just you buy a new book.
Of course, some spells may be common in those books, and some spells in the PHB may be rare, but I don´t want players buying every sourcebook from any 3rd party, just to get overpowered spells.

Uncommon spells for clerics should be only available if the DM gives permission. uncommon spells for wizards too.

As to uncommon classes etc. No, don´t belong into seperated books, but don´t belong into the starter box either.

My favourite version would be

1. a starter box which comprises, what the playtest offers now.
2. a PHB with every class ever existant in any PHB (even if those are subclasses or specialities) and a quite useful list of maneuvers and spells. With enough common and uncommon spells for the wizard, the cleric and whatever class is in.

tlantl

First Post
completely different thing.

It is just, that for normal play, it is very impractical, that a cleric gets every spell ever created, just you buy a new book.
Of course, some spells may be common in those books, and some spells in the PHB may be rare, but I don´t want players buying every sourcebook from any 3rd party, just to get overpowered spells.

Uncommon spells for clerics should be only available if the DM gives permission. uncommon spells for wizards too.

As to uncommon classes etc. No, don´t belong into seperated books, but don´t belong into the starter box either.

My favourite version would be

1. a starter box which comprises, what the playtest offers now.
2. a PHB with every class ever existant in any PHB (even if those are subclasses or specialities) and a quite useful list of maneuvers and spells. With enough common and uncommon spells for the wizard, the cleric and whatever class is in.

Mike Mearls already said, in one of the seminars, that they don't want to do a starter set since it would mean people having to buy game materials twice.

I wouldn't count on a starter set for Next to be released.

as for spells being designated common to rare, I think that should be a DM's call depending on the game he wants to play.

If the cleric is designed in such a way as to reduce the volume of mage like effects and return to minor buffs and cures then their having access to all of the spells on the list is meaningless.

Furthermore if this is an issue for DMs, then they should take a little time and make up spell lists by deity and restrict the cleric's access to different spells. They could also grant their players spells the way we did in AD&D. That way your clerics are not using spells you don't want them to. Of course there are those who will moan about these things and then moan about the solutions much like they do in the 5 minute work day threads.

The bottom line is if you don't want certain things in your game then don't use them. You might catch some flak from your players but I'm sure that they will understand if you explain why you are making those restrictions.

As far as I'm concerned clerics are healers and if someone wants to play a cleric in my games they are going to take healing spells.

Remove ads