WotC Wizards of the Coast Announces Sci-Fi Video Game with ex-BioWare Developers

Wizards of the Coast announced they are forming a new video game studio called Archetype Entertainment headed by former BioWare developers James Ohlen and Chad Robertson.

Wizards of the Coast announced they are forming a new video game studio called Archetype Entertainment headed by former BioWare developers James Ohlen and Chad Robertson. Ohlen will serve as the Head of Studio while Robertson will take on the title of General Manager. The debut project from the studio will be an original IP, “set in an all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds.”

archetype.png

Ohlen's credits at BioWare include Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Anthem, and of course Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights. Roberts served as Head of Technology for BioWare from 2015 to 2019 and Studio Director from 2017 to 2019. In addition to their video game credits, Ohlen and Robertson also collaborated on the recently released 5e compatible campaign setting book Odyssey of the Dragonlords distributed by Modiphius.

Wizards of the Coast originally announced the formation of this new video game studio in April of last year.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Abstruse

Legend
Another way of stating it. I know there are several games coming out, does buying this studio mean they want to bring some of that development in house? Or are they looking to expand other related industries because "it's all games".

Just a correction - Wizards of the Coast isn't buying this studio. They're creating it, so it's brand new.

WotC also purchased Tuque Games last year, plus they created Wizards Digital Games Studio as an internal department separate from both companies back in 2017. So this is a move that's been a few years in the making at least.

But they licensed work on Baldur's Gate III to Larian Studios, so they're not trying to move everything in-house as that's a major title. If they were wanting to move all video game development in-house, that would be their flagship. So they don't want to pull everything under the WotC umbrella, just...some projects.

Oofta

Legend
"...will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds."

Yep, sounds like an RPG, just like every other RPG in the last 25 years that used that very tagline. :p
Hey now! In Mass Effect [SPOILER ALERT] the choice I made had a huge impact. I got a red, green or blue ending that were totally different colors.[/SPOILER ALERT]

Watch your language, please. Profanities edited out.
Hey now! In Mass Effect [SPOILER ALERT] the choice I made had a huge impact. I got a red, green or blue ending that were totally different colors.[/SPOILER ALERT]

Don't forget the marvellous fourth ending that came with the extended cut where they told you: "Don't like are fancy colours? Then xxxxx You lose!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
I wonder if there will be a TTRPG based on this setting.

They would be foolish not to. With multiple Star Trek and Star Wars movies and/or series slated to come down the pipes in coming years, the market for SF-oriented games will only increase.

This said, there's a lot more money in video games than in TTRPGs.

ZeshinX

Adventurer

Fine colours, all. Even the fourth, which finally answered the question of "What colour is giving the finger?" :p

It's just a tiny bit of a disappointment that they'd go with that tagline, even this early on, given the volume of creative talent doubtless available to them.

Perhaps it's deliberate, a bit of nostalgimancy to spark the earliest excitement...but given the state of the video game industry and its descent into greedy over-monetization, with giants like Bethesda, Activision/Blizzard and BiowarEA falling to avarice, I find it wise (for myself, for others...to each their own) to remain skeptical of anything coming from that direction...even after release.

Remove ads

Remove ads