WotC Wizards of the Coast Is Moving -- But Not Far!

Wizards of the Coast has leased 110,000 square feet in a new office development in Southport, an area of Renton, a city near Seattle in Washington. The company is already based in Renton, which is where D&D has been based since WotC acquired TSR. Renton’s Southport, the 727,000 square foot office complex developed by SECO Development located on the southern shores of Lake Washington, has...

Wizards of the Coast has leased 110,000 square feet in a new office development in Southport, an area of Renton, a city near Seattle in Washington. The company is already based in Renton, which is where D&D has been based since WotC acquired TSR.

SECO-Southport_ext_17.jpg

Renton’s Southport, the 727,000 square foot office complex developed by SECO Development located on the southern shores of Lake Washington, has found another tenant to occupy its modern office space. Hasbro’s gaming subsidiary Wizards of the Coast

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
What stands out to me is this move feels like an indicator that WotC wants to position itself to incoming talent as a tech company not a manufacturing/publishing company. I imagine (as @FitzTheRuke mentions up thread) that they want to be in a more "micro-brew" neighborhood than a "fast-food" type neighborhood - all to attract the software developer/product manager type folks as opposed to manufacturer/publishing type folks. But when I worked at a tech office that was "out in the burbs" with the closest restaurant a 7-11 and an off-brand burger joint, they had a bit more trouble hiring than one in the middle of hip downtown with so much choice of where to eat and go out after work.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
What stands out to me is this move feels like an indicator that WotC wants to position itself to incoming talent as a tech company not a manufacturing/publishing company. I imagine (as @FitzTheRuke mentions up thread) that they want to be in a more "micro-brew" neighborhood than a "fast-food" type neighborhood - all to attract the software developer/product manager type folks as opposed to manufacturer/publishing type folks. But when I worked at a tech office that was "out in the burbs" with the closest restaurant a 7-11 and an off-brand burger joint, they had a bit more trouble hiring than one in the middle of hip downtown with so much choice of where to eat and go out after work.
You could be correct, If the current direction progresses then the bulk of the value will be in the spinoffs from the gameing ip and in the multimedia/egaming world.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That kind of stuff is the one of coolest part of working in geek industries, IMO.

DC Comics in Burbank used to have a whole comic book library with a statue of a reading Clark Kent sitting on one of the couches.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That kind of stuff is the one of coolest part of working in geek industries, IMO.

DC Comics in Burbank used to have a whole comic book library with a statue of a reading Clark Kent sitting on one of the couches.

Did they have that at Burbank? That's nice to know. When I visited NY, before DC Comics moved west, I had a tour of the office. They had the library there, and the librarian guy (who's name I unfortunately forget) reached in a drawer and handed me an Action Comics #1. It was the most shaky I've ever felt my hands go...

Dire Bare

Legend
They're already located in Renton, at 1600 Lind Ave SW. This is a move of a mighty 5 km.
View attachment 261473
Heh, I like how your map posting puts things into perspective.

This is big news IF YOU WORK FOR WOTC. Otherwise, it's a nothing-burger.

If I did work for WotC, I'd be excited to be in a brand new space, right on the shores of the lake! Unless it screwed majorly with my commute . . . .

Remove ads

Remove ads