WotC Wizards of the Coast Is Moving -- But Not Far!

Wizards of the Coast has leased 110,000 square feet in a new office development in Southport, an area of Renton, a city near Seattle in Washington. The company is already based in Renton, which is where D&D has been based since WotC acquired TSR. Renton’s Southport, the 727,000 square foot office complex developed by SECO Development located on the southern shores of Lake Washington, has...

Wizards of the Coast has leased 110,000 square feet in a new office development in Southport, an area of Renton, a city near Seattle in Washington. The company is already based in Renton, which is where D&D has been based since WotC acquired TSR.

SECO-Southport_ext_17.jpg

Renton’s Southport, the 727,000 square foot office complex developed by SECO Development located on the southern shores of Lake Washington, has found another tenant to occupy its modern office space. Hasbro’s gaming subsidiary Wizards of the Coast

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've been rolling my eyes at "news" articles ever since I was in high school and the local paper reported a "gang-related stabbing" that happened at my school and went on to describe how this "good kid from a good home" had "moved to the inner city" and "gotten involved in the gangs".

I was there for the event. A stupid jerk cut another stupid jerk kid with a swiss army knife. The "stabbed" kid didn't even need stitches. Neither were involved in any gangs, which weren't actually much of a thing at my school. This is Vancouver, Canada, we're talking about, not East LA. (I'm not saying we didn't have gangs, but not the way the paper was implying, and neither kid were involved in them).
I'm not sure "newspapers" should be blamed for what one reporter in Vancouver did.

And I also don't think you can expect the public to know or give a crap about what a CCG is. They should have probably just dropped "trading" and called it a card game, but I doubt anyone spent more than 30 seconds worrying about updating the press release from the real estate folks.

I don't think you should expect a real estate publication to be any better writing about gaming than you would a gaming publication writing about real estate.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not sure "newspapers" should be blamed for what one reporter in Vancouver did.

I meant it as more of an interesting anecdote. Nothing more than that. Ever since then, I roll my eyes when I see them screw up on easy facts. I'm not running around shouting "fake news" or anything.

And I also don't think you can expect the public to know or give a crap about what a CCG is.

Is that a reason to not bother to get things right? Seems to me to be a reason to be simple and informative when you talk about things that much of your audience doesn't already know.

They should have probably just dropped "trading" and called it a card game, but I doubt anyone spent more than 30 seconds worrying about updating the press release from the real estate folks.
Or they could have called it Magic the Gathering. It only makes half a billion dollars a year on average. Just a small thing.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Despite being a cash cow for WotC, Magic seems to have very little pop culture penetration.
What difference does that make when you're supposedly being informative?

ANYHOW... it was only my intention to tease them a little for their obvious faux-pas. I didn't think I'd have to defend it. The internet is such a strange place at times. They meant Magic. They wrote Pokemon. Just a screw-up. No big deal. A bit sadly typical, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads