WotC Wizards Q1 2023 revenue up 12%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ah wait. I know where the disconnect is. I'm talking about the sales of the NEW books, not the sales of ALL the D&D books put together. I suppose it's possible that when you add the current sales across ALL the D&D books (new AND old) that they could be up this quarter compared to last. DUH. I was only thinking of the recent books ON THEIR OWN. That's the comic-book seller in me, where if it isn't brand new, it doesn't register.

The new books are selling well, but not compared to the old books, but the old books are STILL selling well TOO. The point I was trying to make is actually pointless. Ignore me!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah wait. I know where the disconnect is. I'm talking about the sales of the NEW books, not the sales of ALL the D&D books put together. I suppose it's possible that when you add the current sales across ALL the D&D books (new AND old) that they could be up this quarter compared to last. DUH. I was only thinking of the recent books ON THEIR OWN. That's the comic-book seller in me, where if it isn't brand new, it doesn't register.

The new books are selling well, but not compared to the old books, but the old books are STILL selling well TOO. The point I was trying to make is actually pointless. Ignore me!
No, your experience as a retailer is extremely nice to hear, please keep it up.

mamba

Legend
Also, your tweet doesn't say anything at all about how D&D books have been selling
from the quarterly statement

"Tabletop gaming revenue increased 13%. Digital and licensed gaming revenue increased 9%, bolstered by the addition of D&D Beyond."

I'd guess that tabletop gaming is books, given that DDB is part of digital.

mamba

Legend
from the quarterly statement

"Tabletop gaming revenue increased 13%. Digital and licensed gaming revenue increased 9%, bolstered by the addition of D&D Beyond."

I'd guess that tabletop gaming is books, given that DDB is part of digital.
actually I have the suspicion that tabletop gaming is both D&D and MtG and that this is just some way of sweeping the fact that D&D did not grow under the rug

This statement meaning D&D only and the hard numbers simply do not add up. So I rather believe the numbers…

D&D + Digital went from 65.6 to 66.1M. Digital grew 9% however so non-digital shrank. Tabletop grew by 13% but MtG grew by 16%, so D&D print must be the one shrinking, given their relative sizes by maybe 15%, as I wrote initially.

I see no other way to reconcile the clearer amounts with the hand-wavy percentages

Parmandur

Book-Friend
actually I have the suspicion that tabletop gaming is both D&D and MtG and that this is just some way of sweeping the fact that D&D did not grow under the rug

This statement meaning D&D only and the hard numbers simply do not add up. So I rather believe the numbers…

D&D + Digital went from 65.6 to 66.1M. Digital grew 9% however so non-digital shrank. Tabletop grew by 13% but MtG grew by 16%, so D&D print must be the one shrinking, given their relative sizes by maybe 15%, as I wrote initially.

I see no other way to reconcile the clearer amounts with the hand-wavy percentages
It way more complicated than that, because Tabletop gaming probavly includes Monopoly, Risk, and so on, as well as Digital including all sorts of random initiatives from different brands that were filed under WotC.

Hasbro has been really struggling lately, so they are definitely using stronger performing products to make up for other failing projects. However, apparently D&D was called out specifically in the Q&A as a bright spot.

mamba

Legend
It way more complicated than that, because Tabletop gaming probavly includes Monopoly, Risk, and so on
no, because that statement, as well as the numbers, were specifically under WotC (+ digital), not Hasbro

Hasbro has been really struggling lately, so they are definitely using stronger performing products to make up for other failing projects.
yes, the rest of Hasbro (not WotC + digital), lost around 20%

I have no axe to grind with WotC or Hasbro, just trying to make sense of what was presented and trying to arrive at the results for D&D itself, despite them not being spelled out directly.

Given what was released this is the best conclusion I can arrive at, and I get to the roughly 15% in two ways now. The hard numbers (my initial post) and the tabletop vs MtG percentages, when taking WotC tabletop (not Hasbro…) as MtG and D&D and taking their relative sizes into account. Taking it as D&D only simply is contradicted by the amounts themselves.

I am pretty sure the 13% D&D growth are simply the 13% WotC tabletop growth misinterpreted. I considered this to be D&D initially too, but it quite literally does not add up.

That does not mean all of this is OGL related. From my understanding WotC does not get the D&D licensing revenue, Hasbro does, so people buying fat plush dragons instead of Golden Vault hurt the WotC tabletop bottom line.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I have no axe to grind with WotC or Hasbro, just trying to make sense of what was presented and trying to arrive at the results for D&D itself, despite them not being spelled out directly.
Again, Hoffer was on the call and is a professional journalist. He relayed what they said about D&D as a game. It was part of the long call, even if it wasn't part of the shared remarks.

Remove ads