WotC Wizards Q1 2023 revenue up 12%

mamba

Legend
Again, Hoffer was on the call and is a professional journalist. He relayed what they said about D&D as a game. It was part of the long call, even if it wasn't part of the shared remarks.
I’d have more confidence in that if the numbers reflected that. And quite frankly, when a journalist says one thing and the official numbers say something else, I am inclined to go with the numbers.

As I wrote, I wonder if the 13% tabletop got interpreted as D&D. The numbers are suspiciously similar.

Or maybe D&D in the reply was everything, books, digital, merchandise. There are several ways this can be spun.

What appears to be harder to spin is D&D print sales, as we can deduce those numbers (within limit), and whatever they are, they are not 13% growth rate. Best case (very unlikely), they were flat / slightly negative. The smaller the share of digital in D&D + digital, the better for D&D here. That is simple math. See my original post on this and tell me what I missed.

Since I arrived at roughly the same result by using the 13% tabletop as MtG + D&D and the 16% for MtG that we know, this kinda reaffirms this. Had I arrived at a sufficiently different percentage, I’d say I miss some important info, but I did not.

If you have an article by the guy, I’d be interested, a tweet is too little to go on.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I’d have more confidence in that if the numbers reflected that. As I wrote, I wonder if the 13% tabletop got interpreted as D&D. The numbers are suspiciously similar:

If you have an article by the guy, I’d be interested.
He didn't write it up, just tweeted -- then people screamed at him about how he could know such a thing since it wasn't in the prepared statement

mamba

Legend
He didn't write it up, just tweeted -- then people screamed at him about how he could know such a thing since it wasn't in the prepared statement
that is unfortunate, would have liked to see if the actual question and answer could have shed some light on this

Remove ads