Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Zardnaar

Legend
The previous two superhero movies I watched not to long ago were Wonder Women and Aquaman on Netflix. So yeah WW84 doesn't hold up comparatively.

This was also better.

My other December movie. Had a budget of around $3 and a bag of fries.

I recently caught up with Captain Marvel, which I skipped when it was in theaters.

It was... passable. Kind of forgettable, and a carbon copy of previous Marvel movies. The worst thing about it was the unlikeable actress. I really did try to like her, but she just gives off the worst Karen vibe, making it hard to root for her. Also, during a fight scene they play No Doubt's I'm just a girl, which was just cringe. It's a fine song, but just a dreadful choice for that scene.

The movie feels as if Disney is trying to come up with the formula for a strong female super hero flick that will print them lots of dollars. But it ultimately feels very hollow and forced. It is also an odd choice, since the MCU already has several female super heroes that are far more likeable. When a movie tries so hard to push an idea that feels insincere, it is at risk of turning the audience against it. And I strongly feel that is the case here.

The formula to create a strong female lead superhero movie, is just a matter of making a good movie. You don't need to constantly remind us that she is "Just a girl" and that she needs no man. Just give us a likeable character and a fun plot, and thats it. Better yet, give us that Black Widow movie instead. Scarlet Jo is infinitely more likeable.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I recently caught up with Captain Marvel, which I skipped when it was in theaters.

It was... passable. Kind of forgettable, and a carbon copy of previous Marvel movies. The worst thing about it was the unlikeable actress. I really did try to like her, but she just gives off the worst Karen vibe, making it hard to root for her. Also, during a fight scene they play No Doubt's I'm just a girl, which was just cringe. It's a fine song, but just a dreadful choice for that scene.

The movie feels as if Disney is trying to come up with the formula for a strong female super hero flick that will print them lots of dollars. But it ultimately feels very hollow and forced. It is also an odd choice, since the MCU already has several female super heroes that are far more likeable. When a movie tries so hard to push an idea that feels insincere, it is at risk of turning the audience against it. And I strongly feel that is the case here.

The formula to create a strong female lead superhero movie, is just a matter of making a good movie. You don't need to constantly remind us that she is "Just a girl" and that she needs no man. Just give us a likeable character and a fun plot, and thats it. Better yet, give us that Black Widow movie instead. Scarlet Jo is infinitely more likeable.

I thought the movie was ok somewhere in the middle of the MCU maybe a bit lower. Better than stuff like Ironman 3 and later Thor movies perhaps. Brie wasn't great bit of a charisma void.

Before Mandalorian landed I had only seen 3 or 4 MCU movies.

I thought the movie was ok somewhere in the middle of the MCU maybe a bit lower. Better than stuff like Ironman 3 and later Thor movies perhaps.

I liked Ironman 3 a lot better, but I think everyone will agree Thor the Dark World was a dud. Thor Ragnarok on the other hand was fantastic.

I don't know what it is exactly that makes Brie give off such negative charisma. Could be that charisma is her dump stat. Could also be that a bit of her actual personality as an actress 'shines' through. And by shine, I mean a black hole from which no light can escape. :D

Zardnaar

Legend
I liked Ironman 3 a lot better, but I think everyone will agree Thor the Dark World was a dud. Thor Ragnarok on the other hand was fantastic.

I don't know what it is exactly that makes Brie give off such negative charisma. Could be that charisma is her dump stat. Could also be that a bit of her actual personality as an actress 'shines' through. And by shine, I mean a black hole from which no light can escape. :D

I haven't seen her in anything else to compare with. Her movie was better than a few MCU movies though. I've got no idea what the good MCU movies are supposed to be. I liked Iron Man/Thor/GotG first installmentscand The Avengers.

I like some superhero movies but don't love the genre as such. Unlike some of the old batman's, Blade 1&2, some of the MCU etc. Superman never really got him.

In my opinion, the good MCU movies are:

Iron Man 1, Captain America The Winter Soldier, Captain America Civil War, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Doctor Strange, Thor Ragnarok, Avengers Infinity War + Endgame.

The bad are:

Ironman 2, Avengers Age of Ultron, Captain Marvel, Thor the Dark World, Captain America the First Avenger. All of the Hulk movies.

Everything else imo falls somewhere in between. But even the bad MCU movies have enjoyable parts, and are easily more fun than Jack Snyders dour Superman flicks. And I'm happy to have seen most MCU movies, including the bad ones, even if just for the sake of understanding the continuety. Also, Ironman 2 has a fantastic fight scene with Black Widow that is worth watching.

Zardnaar

Legend
In my opinion, the good MCU movies are:

Iron Man 1, Captain America The Winter Soldier, Captain America Civil War, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Doctor Strange, Thor Ragnarok, Avengers Infinity War + Endgame.

The bad are:

Ironman 2, Avengers Age of Ultron, Captain Marvel, Thor the Dark World, Captain America the First Avenger. All of the Hulk movies.

Everything else imo falls somewhere in between. But even the bad MCU movies have enjoyable parts, and are easily more fun than Jack Snyders dour Superman flicks. And I'm happy to have seen most MCU movies, including the bad ones, even if just for the sake of understanding the continuety. Also, Ironman 2 has a fantastic fight scene with Black Widow that is worth watching.

Not a bad list. Captain America doesn't do much for me though. Might be a cultural thing there.

I would probably bputbblack panther into top third marvel superheroes into the middle and would move GotG2 and most of the Captain America stuff into the middle.

Just kinda lost focus with to many characters imho.

Last edited:

Not a bad list. Captain America doesn't do much for me though. Might be a cultural thing there.

Captain America as a character is pretty boring. That is why his first movie is a bit of a dud for me. Plus Hydra laser-tanks during WWII kind of rub me the wrong way as a European. I appreciate that these are the comicbook origins of the character, and that they are staying true to that. But whenever Hydra shows up as a quasi-Nazi stand in, I groan a bit on the inside. And I really don't like adding fictional elements to WWII.

However, I think it is fair to say that Captain America is only 50% in the Winter Soldier movie. The rest is Nicky Fury and Black Widow, who are so much more fun. And even Steve Rogers himself gets some much needed character development. It is honestly fun to watch him react and adapt to the modern world. Plus the movie itself has a very unique espionage vibe going for it. It is a very suspensful movie full of twists and turns.

Civil War on the other hand is barely a Captain America movie at all. It is pretty much an Avengers type of ensemble movie. It could just as well be considered an Iron Movie, considering how central Tony Stark is to the plot. But I think you do need to see the Winter Soldier first, to fully appreciate Civil War. I saw Civil War in theaters, and I was most surprised that people in the audience were very divided in regards to the central conflict of the movie. Not everyone was on Captain America's side, myself included. I did not expect to be watching a Captain America movie, in which Steve Rogers is kind of a bad guy, depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Captain America as a character is pretty boring. That is why his first movie is a bit of a dud for me. Plus Hydra laser-tanks during WWII kind of rub me the wrong way as a European. I appreciate that these are the comicbook origins of the character, and that they are staying true to that. But whenever Hydra shows up as a quasi-Nazi stand in, I groan a bit on the inside. And I really don't like adding fictional elements to WWII.

However, I think it is fair to say that Captain America is only 50% in the Winter Soldier movie. The rest is Nicky Fury and Black Widow, who are so much more fun. And even Steve Rogers himself gets some much needed character development. It is honestly fun to watch him react and adapt to the modern world. Plus the movie itself has a very unique espionage vibe going. Civil War on the other hand is barely a Captain America movie at all. It is pretty much an Avengers type of ensemble movie. It could just as well be considered an Iron Movie, considering how central Tony Stark is to the plot. But I think you do need to see the Winter Soldier first, to fully appreciate Civil War.

Seen both neither did much for me. Civil War was a bit of a wet fart for me. Bad CGI in places, knew no one would die and nothing seemed to matter.

Captain America and Super bite me. Maybe it's the red white and blue thing zzzzzz.

Argyle King

Legend
I enjoyed Winter Soldier in that it examines the psychological/ideological struggle that a soldier faces upon returning home and realizing that the country for which you fought is controlled by a government which adheres to very different ideals. Being a patriot and supporting a regime may be at odds with each other, and that's a tough struggle for a combat veteran to come to terms with.

I also find that Winter Soldier manages to simply be a good movie. Even if there were no super hero elements at all, I feel that the underlying structure of the story would be compelling.

Remove ads