Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Like themselves! :D
Maybe they shouldn't have consulted only themselves. :D

One odd thing I noticed, is how early on in the movie it seems Diana might be hooking up with Barbara. Which could have been interesting. But as soon as Steve enters the picture, that plotline is abandoned.

Also did anyone else feel uncomfortable during the whole middle east action scene? We have Diana in her sexy outfit amidst these fully covered Muslim women. It was just very awkward, and probably something that sounded better on paper than it did seeing it on screen.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
The opening scene, with the trans am and arcade, felt like the 80s. Then it's like they dropped even trying for the rest of the movie, and you wouldn't have any idea it took place in the 80s. They had a ton of music they could have used from the 80s and didn't bother once. For example, many movies in the 80s had top current pop culture bands and artists do their soundtracks, which often were hits themselves. They weren't orchestra style music as the default like modern movies (with some exceptions). So to use an orchestra soundtrack just added to the feeling of being off for a movie that takes place in 1984. At the very least, they should have had a synthesizer lol.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Like themselves! :D
Isn't the problem that they did not seem to know enough - individually or collectively - to get the desired feel?
Consulting yourself means that you never expand your boundaries or get into new ground
(especially if the 'yourself' you consult is you as a teen or a child).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Isn't the problem that they did not seem to know enough - individually or collectively - to get the desired feel?
Consulting yourself means that you never expand your boundaries or get into new ground
(especially if the 'yourself' you consult is you as a teen or a child).
Dunno. The line of conversation began with "Were the writers old enough to remember the 1980s?" and the answer is "yes". I was just providing the requested information.

Last night i was thinking back to a point @Morrus made a few years back about how a lot of the sups movies at the time all seemed to end in the same way invasion from above or huge fight scene and how a change would be nice,and with Lord there really wasn't a need for her to throw him around. She just needed him to see what his madness was costing him.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Look, this movie has 1984 in the title. It is literally the premise of the movie. I was born in 1981. I think I know what the 80's were like. This aint it. That is a pretty big flaw.

I don't know exactly where it is that the movie bungles its time period. Nitpicking aside about jetplanes and what videogames were released in what year, something feels off. I don't know if it is the clothes or the general production design. But everything about this movie screams like it is a movie that was shot in 2019/2020, with a few 80's cars and home devices thrown into the background. Right after the flashback, everything just doesn't feel like the 80's at all.

There have been quite a few shows and movies lately that were set in the 80's. "Stranger Things" and the recent adaption of "It" come to mind. And while those also get minor details wrong, they do manage to feel like the 80's. I don't think it is just a matter of nostalgia exploitation that makes the difference. Wonder Woman 1984 got it wrong. It doesn't seem to nail the look, nor the mood or the political climate. It feels like they just didn't do their homework on the time period. It is surprising, because the 80's are not that long ago. There are plenty of people who remember the 80's.
Yeah, being 9 when the 80’s ended definitely doesn’t make you an objective source of 80’s information, or “feel”.

It doesn’t feel like the 80’s to you, fine. It feels more like the 80s than Stranger Things does, to me. From the mall scene to the politics to the clothes and the way people talk, it’s a movie set in the 80s.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, being 9 when the 80’s ended definitely doesn’t make you an objective source of 80’s information, or “feel”.

It doesn’t feel like the 80’s to you, fine. It feels more like the 80s than Stranger Things does, to me. From the mall scene to the politics to the clothes and the way people talk, it’s a movie set in the 80s.

She was 19 when 80s ended.
Opening scene felt 80s after that kinda got dropped for the most part imho.

Remove ads