Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Just watched it, and I was very disappointed. Gal Gadot is amazing, and Chris Pine and her still have great chemistry. But the movie feels tonally off. It doesn't even come close to the first movie, which also had a lame finale with a CGI villain. It also surprised me that although the movie is set in the eighties, it never feels like it.

As others have stated, there is a distinct lack of action. But even what little action there is, lacks punch. It all feels floaty, like a giant wirework ballet.

They do surprisingly little with the time period, and several of Chris Pine's reactions seem weird. He's never seen a train before? Seriously? He's not from the dark ages, they had trains in his time period. And which US President was that supposed to be? If you are going to have your movie be set in the 80s, you've got to show that president. Its just weird when you just show some unnamed fictional president. Also, the idea that a WWI pilot can just fly a modern jet is laughable. And I guess it also has unlimited fuel and can just fly from NY to Cairo. I guess we have Aircraft Carriers for other things then? The movie assumes its audience is a lot more stupid than it really is. The movie is filled with so many sloppy blunders like that, that it constantly took me out of the movie. Kudos for some how working an invisible jet into the plot though, that takes guts.

The movie's biggest issue are the pacing, plot and tone however. I just didn't feel any stakes. The 2nd villain is introduced awkwardly, and Pedro Pascal is a weak primary villain, despite all his talents. The few things I feel that did work, are the chemistry between the two leads, and Wonder Womans' crisis of conscience.

But this movie could have been a lot shorter, and I'm glad I didn't see this in a theater.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
He was supposed to be a faux Reagan, I think. But yeah, the 80s stuff was lame. At least Stranger Things feels like a love letter to 80s nostalgia. This felt very much like trying to depict the 80s on a surface level, yet without any real qualities of what made the 80s the 80s.

The whole film felt like it was rushed to make a quick buck. Kind of weird, really.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I agree with all your points, but wasn't that just supposed to be Reagan? He wasn't as good casting as the time Bruce Campbell played Reagan, but he kinda looked like him (aside from the wide-eyes).
I think it was supposed to be someone LIKE Reagan. There was even a jar of candy in the background, which I assume was a nod to Reagan’s jelly beans
Operation Wolf raised an eyebrow. I remember that arcade game. Not sure what year it came out but I knew it wasn't 84.
There were a few video games in the arcade that were after 84. If you’re gonna make a big deal about the date, like putting it into the title, then I’d hope at least someone should have checked these things. But again, that’s my chief complaint. Not just the date, but so many things just wrong that could have been solved by a simple google search first. It’s lazy.

Zsong

Explorer
Babylon 5 really deserves either a reboot, or a full on remaster with updated special effects. I remember hearing that a lot of the original effect shots are really low resolution, so they would have to redo them from scratch to update it for HD. And I wouldn't be against that, since a lot of it looks really dated now.
That series is perfect the way it is.

Remove ads