D&D 4E Wonko's 4E Auto Character Sheet + Custom Power Cards

L-Voss

First Post
I'm sorry to say this, because I admire the work Wonko and others have done, but the Wizards did a really good job with the character builder. I only find minor bugs when it comes to super weird stuff like armor that grants attacks. It's so good.
I fear that 3rd party developers are going to fall behind. WotC has proven already that they are updating their databases with almost no delay (compendium) after a new rulebook comes out. We can expect the same for the character builder. How in the world does Wonko want to implement the gazillions of choices coming with PHB II? I rather spend the handful of dollars and save tons of time with something that's really well done and official (!), plus the compendium and access to the magazines.
I also want to say that I think it's not a rip off. There is staff to be paid for this work, and despite all their failings, we now have something that's worth paying for.

Not all regions of the world are wealthy, and D&D players are not only Americans. For Poles, for example, it still seems unusual to pay for an online feature every month... though most Poles could easily afford it. There are lot of people who are not fanatics but just regular players all over the world. Such people would not mind delays and keep using free tools instead of having to pay.

That said, I do admire and appreciate Wizards' work, though I think it would be better if they had us pay once for every new material (e.g. you could unlock the MP features by buying your unique special activation code for it ONCE but for a higher price). Wouldn't it be a better way than forcing people to pay every month, even if they don't use it so often? Another example: some people use only two of ten supplements. Should they pay the same amount as the people who want access to every single option Wizards came up with?

Orcus Porkus

First Post
Not all regions of the world are wealthy, and D&D players are not only Americans. For Poles, for example, it still seems unusual to pay for an online feature every month... though most Poles could easily afford it. There are lot of people who are not fanatics but just regular players all over the world. Such people would not mind delays and keep using free tools instead of having to pay.

That said, I do admire and appreciate Wizards' work, though I think it would be better if they had us pay once for every new material (e.g. you could unlock the MP features by buying your unique special activation code for it ONCE but for a higher price). Wouldn't it be a better way than forcing people to pay every month, even if they don't use it so often? Another example: some people use only two of ten supplements. Should they pay the same amount as the people who want access to every single option Wizards came up with?

I'm pretty sure that the monthly subscription model, where you need to a) login to the software in order to unlock it and b) can only really use it if you install monthly updates, which is limited to 5, was designed to fight piracy, and still allow a user to install it on more than one computer.

But WotC has changed their pricing models in the past, and I'm sure they are open to suggestions that don't make copyright violations easier.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Pretty reasonable, depending on how often real life rears it's ugly head between now and then.
I just finished up Rogue paragon paths from MP, so that leaves Warlord (and paragon paths) and feats.
Once I get the next release out, it's going to be awhile before I add any more content. I have to write a 4E tournament module due to be ran at a convention at the end of April so I'm going to be busy with that for awhile.

Show me what to change where, and if I have time (said the full-time MBA student), I'll add stuff in.

Just to point out, you don't need a continual subscription, at least not with how it works now. You could buy a $8 one month subscription twice a year (and with the way it works now, you'd have full access to all those dragons/dungeons you missed during that time!) to pull new updates, but in the meantime, you'd have a sheet that worked good except for not having content released since the last time you updated, but considering how fast one developer can put out a sheet ... how old is Martial Power? 2.5 months? With PHB 2, Divine Power, Arcane Power, on top of Dragon every month... I can't imagine keeping up.

MacMathan

Explorer
I do love Wonko's sheet for portability to other computers, most at work have excel but I am not going to install an app there.

Also so far Wonko's seems to offer greater ability to put in custom work.

Wexed

First Post
No. Just no. I realize you have probably just lurked the last six months, but this isn't how we operate here.

--Dinkeldog/Moderator

BTW Wonko woot woot! Big supporter here. Most of my players use your sheets and we lovem' so if you keep posting we'll keep using :) Great effort and great work on everything so far!

P.S. sorry for the rant!

Last edited by a moderator:

seanna2000

First Post
Overcharging for Underdeveloping

WotC is being too much. 8 USD is 29 of my currency. People here already earn little, how can they afford so much MONTHLY? Plus, I've seen and tested their beta, and was impressed by the decorations and detail, but no by their programming. You can easily program that in .NET. The performance is slow for a .NET program too, and just about anyone can program in .NET. If it was a normal bit level C++ program then it would be a different issue since the performance is far better and the work far more tedious and skillful. Plus, the WotC Character Builder is just a character builder. Wonko's is a character sheet that's way more flexible. Plus, who the heck sells their programs on a monthly charge? Even intricate computer games are a one-time sale! You've got to be kidding me if this isn't greed.

Undrhil

Explorer
WotC is being too much. 8 USD is 29 of my currency. People here already earn little, how can they afford so much MONTHLY? Plus, I've seen and tested their beta, and was impressed by the decorations and detail, but no by their programming. You can easily program that in .NET. The performance is slow for a .NET program too, and just about anyone can program in .NET. If it was a normal bit level C++ program then it would be a different issue since the performance is far better and the work far more tedious and skillful. Plus, the WotC Character Builder is just a character builder. Wonko's is a character sheet that's way more flexible. Plus, who the heck sells their programs on a monthly charge? Even intricate computer games are a one-time sale! You've got to be kidding me if this isn't greed.

Multiple points here but I don't feel like breaking up your post, so I'll just reply to them one by one.

1) It's not a monthly charge *for the program*. The monthly charge is for D&Di which includes the Compendium (ie, the rules), the Dungeon and Dragon magazines and access to download the full version of the Character Builder. There is no monthly access fee for using the Character Builder.

2) If it's so easy to do, then let's see you do it. It's written in a .NET language. We don't know which language they are using and, guess what? C++ is a .NET language now. So, this isn't a valid argument.

3) Your third complaint about intricate computer programs shouldn't have to be paid for monthly is covered by my first response.

Bottom line: no one is holding a gun to your head telling you that you *have* to use the D&Di character builder. Please, continue to use Wonko's sheet. I still use it from time to time myself (and am still waiting on the A.8 release!) In the meantime, I have access to the character builder which is fully up-to-date and functional. No Excel 2007 required, by the way. Sure, Wonko's sheet is nice to keep on a flash drive, but at the end of the day, you still need to have Excel 2007 installed on a PC in order to use it.

With the D&Di character builder, I'm thinking of testing it with the Western Digital app which lets you install programs on a portable harddrive and access them on any PC. If it works there, then portability is no problem.

L-Voss

First Post
All things considered, I hope Wonko won't stop working on his sheet as long as there are some people who still choose to use it instead of D&DI. So, I beg you, Wonko, keep up your work! ^^'

Wonko the Sane

First Post
The next update should be out by week's end...I'm in the process of programming paragon and epic feats from MP (heroic are done).

As an aside, this weekend I saw the output from the DDI character builder...very nice. I'm not sure how well it works re: adding modifiers to things based on feat/item/whatever selection, but it looks pretty good. So good in fact, that I was considering mothballing this project - it was starting to feel like I was trying to re-invent the wheel. The posts here and emails of encouragement however, were enough to keep my nose to the grindstone.

Thanks for using my sheet, everyone :)

WtS

Remove ads