D&D General Woo-Hoo! Heading back to playing D&D in person soon! (for the first time since February 2020)!

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I've got a small in-person game going, though it's just with friends and family and vaccinated coworkers, so it's not my usual fare. I won't get to play a real campaign until the local game shop opens itself up to public games again… someday.

Playing Raiders of the Lost Artifacts mashed up with two other OD&D/S&W-based systems. The campaign is set in Romania in 1928. Our heroes (so far consisting of: Kit Evans, swashbuckling American adventuress and tomb-raider; Lucinda Fontaine, California debutante and daughter of a Napa Valley wine magnate; Benny Azerak, Anglo-Egyptian mystic sorcerer; and Solomon Daïb, South African mercenary; respectively played my my wife, my boss, my neighbor, and my brother) are exploring a spooky castle (which is in fact one of the first D&D adventures ever published, the infamous Palace of the Vampire Queen) in search of a lost antediluvian artifact, an ancient statuette called the "Ishta Madonna" that was broken into several parts by 8th century Byzantine iconoclasts, only to have its parts reassembled in the 17th century by a relative of Elizabeth Báthory who was similarly suspected of being a vampire and a witch. The artifact was lost to history, until now, when our heroes arrive in a sleepy Romanian village that sits in the shadow of the ruined and haunted palace…

During the first adventure, the heroes explored maybe the first ten rooms of the first level of the palace. They've encountered hungry wolves and big rats and big yellowjacket hornets, and so far bullets and buckshot and the judicious use of flaming oil have kept the beasties at bay. But the PCs found no treasure tonight, so we ended the game with everyone having earned a mere 27 XP (bumped up to 30 for the characters who have a prime requisite bonus). Number of dead player characters so far: fortunately zero. Number of dead Nazis so far: sadly zero.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Looking forward to in-person starting soon, but sadly my two previous groups have scattered to the four winds. I’ll be looking to recruit some new players, probably in the fall once the summer travel season is over (and everyone is going to be traveling this summer, within the USA at least).

I’m thinking of running a one-shot when we can get back together, because the Fireball rule is going to be in effect and there isn’t going to be much adventuring happening.

Fireball Rules

If a player rolls a 1, all the players take a shot of Fireball.

If the DM rolls a 1, they take a shot of Fireball.

If the DM rolls a 20 on an attack roll, the player being attacked has the option of taking 1d6 damage away if they take a shot of Fireball. Same goes for the DM.

If anyone casts the spell Fireball, everyone takes a shot of Fireball.

Yonner

Explorer
Both of the groups I run moved to online play at the start of the pandemic. The high-school group will remain remote, likely until August. My peer group will likely go back to in-person play in May, as we'll all be vaccinated at that point.

Stormonu

Legend
Actually..., one of our groups has been playing in person since about last July. My family + sister-in-law + her housemate. I'm the only one who has been vaccinated. It's always made me a little nervous, but my wife goes shopping with her sister every Monday anyways, so not really any extra risk.

Oofta

Legend
Can't do outside. I turn to ash in the sunlight.
Yeah, the only reasons vampires sparkle is because they're starting to disintegrate. ;)

Besides, I never said we were going to play during the daytime. Middle of the night in an empty park would mean minimizing possible contact with other humanoids ... erm ... people. As an natural introvert, self-isolating hasn't been all bad.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I’m thinking of running a one-shot when we can get back together, because the Fireball rule is going to be in effect and there isn’t going to be much adventuring happening.

Fireball Rules

If a player rolls a 1, all the players take a shot of Fireball.

If the DM rolls a 1, they take a shot of Fireball.

If the DM rolls a 20 on an attack roll, the player being attacked has the option of taking 1d6 damage away if they take a shot of Fireball. Same goes for the DM.

If anyone casts the spell Fireball, everyone takes a shot of Fireball.
For the sake of your collective livers I hope none of the PCs starts with a fully loaded Wand of Fire... :)

If our vaccination schedule holds up and people aren't too paranoid post-vax my guess is it'll be late summer here for in-person play.

Remove ads